• I was taught 1/3rds but dive 1/2+200

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I was taught both/dive both

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This won't actually get resolved here, but I still think its an enlightening discussion

This won't actually get resolved here, but I still think its an enlightening discussion

It will not be resolved, but knowing how folks dive is interesting. I was actually taught 1/2+ 200 for backgas while cave diving in high flow. Times have changed....

Another option, taught both and choose to dive one way or the other depending on who I'm with and/or where I'm at?

I can choose other, but curious if the above option(Taught both, dive both) can be added.

... and hopefully I'm stating the obvious in that 1/2 + 200 includes pulling additional gas reserve from backgas?

I have no problem diving 1/2+200 on stages in no flow and in fact that's how I was taught. The part that seems to get lost in the chatter is the fact that doing this doesn't break 1/3rds of total gas carried. We reserve enough gas in the doubles to cover the loss of every stage dropped. I have never carried so many stages that I couldn't touch backgas or had to start dropping safety bottles.

Damn I can't edit the poll. But good point someone might switch methods based on the dive or buddies preferences.

Thank you for mentioning "the obvious" about pulling backgas out to cover the stage. At least the discussions I have seen about this on TDS that hasn't been so obvious to some people.

1/2 plus 200
reserving that gas in a stage that you don't have on you and won't be able to ditch seems silly to me

1/2 plus 200
reserving that gas in a stage that you don't have on you and won't be able to ditch seems silly to me

For me, I wouldn't want to be tied to partial stages to be able to actually use my reserves.

1/2 + 500, which for an AL80 stage is effectively 2/3's

For me, I wouldn't want to be tied to partial stages to be able to actually use my reserves.

yea. and it can't be shared. and handing off stages isn't the way I want to be handling out of gas emergencies. burn that stage up and get rid of it. it just slows you down

1/2 + 500, which for an AL80 stage is effectively 2/3's

Is there some different logic going on behind the scenes here than 1/3rds of backgas & 1/3rds of stages? Some CCR or bailout issue?

yea. and it can't be shared. and handing off stages isn't the way I want to be handling out of gas emergencies. burn that stage up and get rid of it. it just slows you down
Why just go out of gas once? If you share stages you get to go OOA multiple times and it just makes the dive all around more interesting :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom