DIR- Generic Stage position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ngarrache

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I tested my first own deco bottle (Luxfer 7L + 410g first stage) in a pool at 3m.
The tank is sinking bellow me especially it's bottom. This is not what I see in DIR style.
It's fully filled with ean32 (to keep it o2 clean). Do you think the mix or maybe the fresh water are the reasons ?
I think my configuration and rigging are good.
Thx for your help

Images of the rigging on the bottle?
Images of you wearing your harness in appropriate exposure protection?

The gas mix is likely not the answer. 32% and 100% in a 7L is fairly negligible.

Here are most accurate pictures (don't have a lot)
The current version of the bottle rigging has a tail shorter by 3cm.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 22.38.01.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 22.38.01.png
    450.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7783.jpeg
    IMG_7783.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 225
The tank is sinking bellow me especially it's bottom. This is not what I see in DIR style.
It's fully filled with ean32 (to keep it o2 clean). Do you think the mix or maybe the fresh water are the reasons ?
A DIR rigged nitrox stage will dangle below you when full. The picture you've see were probably of divers with partially empty 80 cuft AL tanks. As you breath the tank down the bottom of the tank will move up.

Here are most accurate pictures (don't have a lot)
The current version of the bottle rigging has a tail shorter by 3cm.
In some instances, and especially with a single bottle, rotate the bottom clip through the leash to shorten it. The base of the boltsnap should be relatively taut to the stage handle when tied correctly. It will hang some, especially when full.

Minor point, but would also center the strap vertically underneath the valve orfice (rotate your stage rigging 15° clockwise) rather than to the right.

Attachments

• 3BB0BF1C-DDDD-43A2-8D1F-C9F9563F3186.jpeg
    3BB0BF1C-DDDD-43A2-8D1F-C9F9563F3186.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 219
A Luxfer 200/207 BAR tank is going to be negative when full. The tail will start to float up around 150BAR, and the whole tank will be positive (depending on reg) somewhere round 50BAR.

Not sure if there was ever a 240BAR luxfer 7, but if so that would likely be negative even when empty.

I see a lot of folks with chest d rings that are an inch or so too low, and the hip d ring an inch or so too far forward.
This is a super important point. I was struggling with ideal stage placement. I actually had my chest drings in the "standard" dir position and felt my stage still wasn't ideal. My tech 1 instructor suggested moving them up and I was a little hesitant because they felt right and easy to reach and I was very hesitant to change them. I moved them up and it made a huge difference. I won't lie, its slightly harder to clip stuff off since I'm so used to the old height and my arm doesn't bend as easily for the new position. But the instructor was right on and it made 100% difference.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom