DIR- GUE segregate deco regs from stage regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this a GUE position, or a oersonal quirk?
I dunno I have all sorts of colors on my stuff now. Not so much as ID but holy heck anything BUT black is so much easier to untangle.

So it seems the consensus from the people I'm addressing the question to is that you simply don't worry about a theoretical possibility of contamination of your O2-clean regs from EAN32 stage tanks, since they are supposed to be clean as well.
It's actually pretty difficult to make 32% (or air) that isn't O2 compatible but is still meeting breathable specs.
Basically if the compressor pumps breathable air it's also O2-compatible. If it's not pumping breathable air well you have other issues besides contaminating your O2 clean reg.

And how does this appear at depth in murky (viz of 15' for less) water? I am skeptical it would be apparent. Hence the importance of tracing the 2nd stage to the cylinder that is clearly marked. Keep everything O2 clean as Nick mentioned, but always trace to avoid hyper/hypoxic gas mixtures.
For accelerated decompression at high oxygen I use a dedicated green oxygen cleaned setup. Similar to this.
View attachment 803831

Is this a GUE position, or a oersonal quirk?
Nothing in the GUE world that I have come across seems to suggest color-coding is useful, so not marking deco regs using a color would be in line with that. As Kosta just pointed out, colors are difficult to discern at depth anyway. I like the idea of being able to swap out a malfunctioning reg for any other reg in the box.

And how does this appear at depth in murky (viz of 15' for less) water? I am skeptical it would be apparent. Hence the importance of tracing the 2nd stage to the cylinder that is clearly marked. Keep everything O2 clean as Nick mentioned, but always trace to avoid hyper/hypoxic gas mixtures.

Nothing in the GUE world that I have come across seems to suggest color-coding is useful, so not marking deco regs using a color would be in line with that. As Kosta just pointed out, colors are difficult to discern at depth anyway. I like the idea of being able to swap out a malfunctioning reg for any other reg in the box.
You can -- and should -- trace the O2 reg back to the cylinder, even if the hose is green. Seeing the color is not likely to be a problem at 20 ft, where it will be used. If it is not visible at 100 ft if doing an incorrect gas switch, what is the harm? Think of the color as redundancy...isn't that good?

You can -- and should -- trace the O2 reg back to the cylinder, even if the hose is green. Seeing the color is not likely to be a problem at 20 ft, where it will be used. If it is not visible at 100 ft if doing an incorrect gas switch, what is the harm?
Not can or should, but MUST. Now I've read one story where a DM unhooking from 100 feet had grabbed a small cylinder with O2 and he was convulsing all the way up and somehow kept the reg in his mouth, so I guess you're right. There's no harm to switching to oxygen at depth accidentally. :oops:

Reactions: OTF
I guess you're right. There's no harm to switching to oxygen at depth accidentally.
Please keep your words in YOUR mouth, don't put them in mine. I never said that, and you know it. Your cute little emoji is pitiful.

Nothing in the GUE world that I have come across seems to suggest color-coding is useful,
Not color coding but when your suit gas hose is tangled and stuck behind your back its WAY easier to find a non-black one. Either communicating to the deckhand "hey dude can you pull that red hose out of my waistbelt?" Or if you end up for whatever reason with it disconnected underwater. Same if for whatever reason a stage reg hose comes loose from the bungies and is all twisted in your deco bottle. Or your leashed O2 bottle reg comes loose and ends up between your hip Dring and stage etc etc. You absolutely can see "anything but black" way easier at any depth and its far easier for your helper either on the deck or underwater to solve the problem.

As far as I know there's no reason to stick with black other than the hose hides in pictures better

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom