Springs near I-95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
I am from Gainesville, so diving has always been very close, usually Santa Fe river and some Suwannee sites.

An acquaintance will be travelling down I-95 to Miami this summer, and I recommended he visit at least one spring. My Underwater Florida book is in Atlanta while I am in Richmond, so I can't easily check that. They aren't even OW, so any spring that will give a good impression of Fla. springs and allows snorkeling will be great. Let me know which ones you think are the best combination of close to 95 and impressive.

Thanx.

the only one i can think of is Blue Spring, near Orange City. It's just off I-95
on I-4, maybe twenty minutes from Daytona Beach?

anyways, it's a neat cavern dive (can't carry lights if not cavern cert) and a
very good "taste" of Fla. spring diving.

Blue Springs is good, there is also Deleon Springs not that far from Blue Springs. Alexander Springs is a bit further but to much.

oh yes...i forgot about alexander springs... it's on State Road 40, straight off I-95,
maybe... hmmm.... forty five minutes at the most? you have to take a few side roads,
but it's relatively easy to find. Alexander is very shallow (30 feet) but has excellent
vis and a few nice ledges to explore.

never been to DeLeon.

There is also Gemini Springs near DeBary, but every time I've tried to go there it's been closec because of high bacterial counts It used to be part of a cattle ranch, & someone said that all the manure built up around the spring is responsible. There is Silver Glen, Juniper, & Salt Springs all in the Ocala National Forest, as is Alexander. However, these all are probably getting a bit far from the interstate. Of all the springs mentioned by myself & everyone else, Silver Glen is probably the best place to snorkel. Fish life can be VERY prolific, & visibility can be upwards of 100'.

Most springs are much closer to I-75 than I-95. The only one that could be considered "close" is Blue Springs State Park, which someone has already mentioned. It is a worthwhile dive, though. Unless things have changed in the recent past, DeLeon Springs is closed to scuba except for instructors with a commercial diving permit.

Yeah, you are right about the springs being closer to 75 than 95. As far as Deleon goes, adder 70 was looking for a snorkeling site, so Deleon would still be avilable. I think I'll check the net & see if Gemini is opened back up, if it is, I'll let you know. Blue Springs is PROBABLY the guy's best bet, but I haven't been to Deleon in so long I forget what it's like, & I've never been to Gemini due to the bacterial count closings. If the guy wants the best snorkeling available & has a little extra time, I would definitely urge him to consider Silver Glen. Once he goes there, he'll be hooked, & he will be right in the middle of several other springs that he could check out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom