Springs' Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLTEKDIVER:
Try here at this link also, i have a bunch more on caves if your interested: http://www.cavediver.net/
If anyone would actually post a report on any of the systems that would be nice. Lots havent been updated since way before the recent influx of hurricanes.

I didnt hear him say (wasnt listening) the creditcard thing (or else i would have paid by that) as every other time i had gone earlier this year he said cash only and assumed that was the same situation still - i hate paying cash for stuff and not have it available for things which dont take cards.

simbrooks:
If anyone would actually post a report on any of the systems that would be nice. Lots havent been updated since way before the recent influx of hurricanes.

I didnt hear him say (wasnt listening) the creditcard thing (or else i would have paid by that) as every other time i had gone earlier this year he said cash only and assumed that was the same situation still - i hate paying cash for stuff and not have it available for things which dont take cards.
Yes, that annoys me at CDF sometimes, which is why I have mine, plus I like to have offshore conditions all in one place as well.

I've been trying to reach Vortex for the past 45min and have only recieved a busy signal. I think their phone lines are down. I'm not going to attempt the 1 1/2 hour trip(probably 2+ hours with the hurricane detours and traffic) without an assurance that atleast one of the local springs there will be open and divable. Ah well, maybe next weekend :)

As of today (Sunday Sept 19th), Alexander Springs is closed. I don't know why for certain, though it is possible that the high level in the rivers has led to the sourrounding low-lying areas flooding & reducing the vis in the spring & run.

I finally got ahold of Vortex Springs around 5pm today. They are open, running the shop on a generator, but its open and they say the water is clear. They couldn't tell me what conditions the other springs in the area were in... Too late for me to make the dive, but I was still curious how they managed after the storm.

As of Sunday 9/19/04 the Park at Orange City, FL was open. Water was up about 6' over normal. The swimming area was closed and all divers and swimmers had to enter at the diver entrance and exit there also. A very large tree fell just 30' from the boil on the down river side. This is a neat swim thru! Water was clear with about 70' vis. Because of the water depth one must swim from the entry to the boil. Some do it on the surface to conserve air for the dive others started their dive at the entry point. There were no crowds, no scuba classes, and no swimmers. It was great!

Thats sounds pretty neat, but must be a killer swim. I remember it being quite a flow even to walk it.

jviehe:
Thats sounds pretty neat, but must be a killer swim. I remember it being quite a flow even to walk it.
However you might imagine the flow would be somewhat reduced due to hydraulic conditions of the tailwater (St Johns River). Thinking of when to dive this spring again, particularly as Becky and i finished our cavern certs on saturday - i reckon a big difference on having a light and line in there! :wink:

If peacock is open we might hit that and/orange grove with Smokeaire next weekend to have a poke around - assuming its open of course!

Yes, I have only ever snorkled it, and would like to go back and cave dive it sometime.

alexander is closed due to no electricity, finally got to them, by tracking down Ocala National Forest number, 352-669-3153 could be opened by now, spoke to them last week. and they said about 2 weeks, till they get back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom