Springs' Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe:
Ive found that in a lot of these safer caverns, that are big and high flow, the most important thing is not to panic. You cant surface but you could swim out if you keep your head. Beyond that, staying within your limits will keep you safe. ANything more challenging than that requires special techniques and gear. Im treading in dangerous water here becuase Im making it sound easy, but I beleive people can figure out things for themselves. But, for those who cant, get trained.
Dangerous water - could be...... i wouldnt go much further unless you want accusations of advocating overhead (or other diving) without training. :wink:

Cavern training is useful for overcoming psychological problems and dealing with multi-tasking, not to mention making you aware of your buoyancy, trim and kicking - its not a course just for those who want to dive springs. It isnt impossible, but it isnt a cake walk either.

Actually, I lucked out with my OW instructor apparently. He actually taught us to trim up correctly and bouyancy control was one of the first and important things he taught us. I would have never thought that these skills weren't taught by the majority of instructors until I read it here on ScubaBoard.

I'll have a little talk with my DM and get him to give me the jist of cavern classing, if its just going to be a review... may skip it. If I learn more, I'm all over it.

simbrooks:
Dangerous water - could be...... i wouldnt go much further unless you want accusations of advocating overhead (or other diving) without training. :wink:

Cavern training is useful for overcoming psychological problems and dealing with multi-tasking, not to mention making you aware of your buoyancy, trim and kicking - its not a course just for those who want to dive springs. It isnt impossible, but it isnt a cake walk either.
Well, i have no problem advocating OW divers going into Ginnie without training, same with Vortex. Even if i dont advocate it, they do it all the time, even fresh out of OW (which i dont reccomend), and they still seem to live, so it cant be too dangerous. What I advocate is doing whatever you think is within your limits. I cant, and PADI cant set those for you. I just give advice, but in the end, your on your own. Well, were off topic before, and this has been debated exhaustively anyway. So, anyone else got more updates on spring conditions?

According to the river forecasts, Ginnie is going to be blown again, and the Suwanee is still toast. Morrison is coming down still though.

jviehe:
According to the river forecasts, Ginnie is going to be blown again, and the Suwanee is still toast. Morrison is coming down still though.

Jviehe,

In your experience (either with Ginnie or with those river forecasts, I tried to decipher them and, well...), how long do you think Ginnie will remain "blown"? I was hoping to get down there mid-October but would like some insight on how long any flooding will likely effect the springs in that area.

Thanks.

Good question... Megadive party wont' be affected will it? Its got a month to clear up, barring any new storms. *crosses fingers/knocks wood*

Cool, thanks. If I'm reading that correctly, it'll be peaking on the 2nd of Oct. Still has more than 3 weeks to get pretty for us. :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Cool, thanks. If I'm reading that correctly, it'll be peaking on the 2nd of Oct. Still has more than 3 weeks to get pretty for us. :)

Ok, I already admitted to knowing nothing about these river forecasts but here's what I thought about that link provided: peaking is projected between the 29th and 30th and the lowest level is forecasted on the 2nd... then a rising again.
I don't want to overreact to all of these being over flood stage (the red line at the bottom of the chart) so...

bugman, between the two of us I bet we have a lick of sense somewhere but I think we need more help here.
Jviehe! :1poke:

The river is flooded and rising. Thats all you need to get from it. Im just guessing on when itll be good.

jviehe:
...So, anyone else got more updates on spring conditions?...
How does Cypress do with these flooding conditions? Does it clear faster than Morrison?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom