Spring Fin Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snoballz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a Noob getting more and more acquainted with equipment and fit. I replaced the fin straps on my non-C series Apollo Bio-Fins with a spring strap from Innovative.

I though the the Large was fine since I it replaces the strap on a size L fin. It did feel somewhat precarious at times but today I lost a fin while diving. The fin was retrieved and the strap was immediately replaced with a Medium.

The thing with the medium is that its a lot harder slipping the fin straps on, specifically getting them over the fin retention on the booties. The straps easily cleared the retention on the boots with ease (guess too much ease). Now I have to unclip the straps to get them off quickly.

So, are straps supposed to be very snug against the heels of the feet?

:14:

Last edited:
maybe you need something in between (a different brand spring straps).

as for fit, it depends on both the fin type, booties and personal preference. many SP jet fin users have them on fairly loosely, but obviously if you lost a fin, then the strap was too loose - or maybe you need booties with the extrusion at the back of the heel to stop the straps from slipping?

other considerations/options: Some spring straps came with a piece of string inside to prevent "over" stretching of the strap - do yours have that? could it have prevented the fin loss? Also, if you plan to wear these fins with bigger boots (say, drysuit boots assuming you are using wetsuit boots now), then you'd want the straps to have enough length to work with those too.

imo, choosing the perfect length spring strap is tricky - they should maybe them semi-adjustable.

I guess that was an advantage of making my own.

They should not be so tight that they are noticeable when in use. I think I sized mine so that there was about 1/2 inch of spring elongation on each side when in use.

I also strongly suggest having a limiter cord in the spring. If you loose balance or ever pull in an odd way over extension is possible.

Pete

I recently added spring straps to my Blade II's, and I love them. However, I bought the small size. My very first dive, I lost a fin right after splashing in. But I have about 15 dives on them since then, and so I think maybe I didn't have them pulled up my heel far enough. I was pretty paranoid about losing one after that first dive though.

Mine are on pretty snug, I've got to pull hard to get them off. But that's what I want.

It seems to me that if you put a piece of metal such as on the ends of some of these spring straps, you are asking for a laceration.

I have had many times when my ankles hit my other leg in an awkward or confined situation. Even though I agree they are much more durable, I would be concerned about the risk of getting cut or cutting someone else accidentally with an errant fin kick.

Just my opinion, please tell me if I am wrong,

David

It seems to me that if you put a piece of metal such as on the ends of some of these spring straps, you are asking for a laceration.

I have had many times when my ankles hit my other leg in an awkward or confined situation. Even though I agree they are much more durable, I would be concerned about the risk of getting cut or cutting someone else accidentally with an errant fin kick.

David

OK you're wrong

David

No, the possibility of a laceration would be incredibly small. The ends of the springs are tucked inward into the coil, and then are set inside of the plastic buckle.

To get a lac, you would have to break the spring, then have it cut through one of your booties.

Pardon my lack of clarity. I was referring to a possible laceration NOT from the spring itself, but rather the piece of metal that I have seen the spring attached to.

In other words, the spring itself attaches to a buckle of some sort.....many I have seen are plastic(no issue with these) and some have been made from stainless. They resemble little mounting plates with the lopsided hourglass hole punched in them. THIS is what I fear is the laceration risk, NOT the spring itself.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom