Spring Fin Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is what I am talking about, it is difficult to see in the photo, but I feel these metal straps could cause problems compared to the plastic ones unless there is a cover of some sort for the metals.

Attachments

• plastic buckle.jpg
    plastic buckle.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 32
  • metal buckle.jpg
    metal buckle.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 43
I like the idea of spring straps, but getting the proper size when there's no adjustability seems difficult. You need something between tight enough to stay on, but not so tight it kills your foot or is very difficult to get off - and I haven't found it yet. My theory is it is more difficult the shorter the strap is because the length the spring stretches is not enough to cope with both. And my straps need to be pretty short.

I've had no luck with 2 pairs so far. The first was made to order, but without the rubber heel pad the commercial ones come with (spring just covered in rubber tube.) I find them way too uncomfortable to wear with my thin booties. Then I bought a pair of the Tilos straps, which were a bit too big even in the small size. I lost a fin within a few dives (in a somewhat iffy situation, when a current sprang up) and had trouble getting back to the boat. My husband got a pair also, larger size and fit him a somewhat better though not ideal. But the metal connector does not stay on the post very well and he has had it come off a couple times when taking his fins off. I'm not sure it makes sense for him to continue using them.

I replaced the regular straps on our bio-fins with Apollo spring straps. It's a permanent replacement as you have to saw off the fin posts. That was the part I was a bit nervous with, but I modified both of them and we really like the spring straps much more than the adjustable ones.

With 3mm boots they fit snug and the wide rubber that covers the spring is very comfortable. I can also use them with my drysuit, but they are a bit tight.

The instructions that Apollo provides is not great and I had to "best guess" some tasks in the process.

Don't know about the Innovate product - I looked at them before I went with the Apollo ones - I wanted a permanent solution as we both didn't like the adjustable buckle ones that came with the fins. My 2 cents!

I like the idea of spring straps, but getting the proper size when there's no adjustability seems difficult. You need something between tight enough to stay on, but not so tight it kills your foot or is very difficult to get off - and I haven't found it yet. My theory is it is more difficult the shorter the strap is because the length the spring stretches is not enough to cope with both. And my straps need to be pretty short.

I've had no luck with 2 pairs so far. The first was made to order, but without the rubber heel pad the commercial ones come with (spring just covered in rubber tube.) I find them way too uncomfortable to wear with my thin booties. Then I bought a pair of the Tilos straps, which were a bit too big even in the small size. I lost a fin within a few dives (in a somewhat iffy situation, when a current sprang up) and had trouble getting back to the boat. My husband got a pair also, larger size and fit him a somewhat better though not ideal. But the metal connector does not stay on the post very well and he has had it come off a couple times when taking his fins off. I'm not sure it makes sense for him to continue using them.

Have you tried using a nylon cable tie on the post to prevent the buckle from slipping off?

imo, choosing the perfect length spring strap is tricky - they should maybe them semi-adjustable.

Agreed, this is tricky. I ordered two sets of spring straps from scuba.com. My wife's pair was perfect. On my fins they would not snap on. Had to remove about 1mm of material with a Dremel to make them go. Go figure. I tested my setup in the local training spot before going to Bonaire next month. glad i did.

I use SS anchor bolt shackles when I make sets for fins with posts. For the type with a metal end that slips over the posts, it shouldn't be too hard to keep them on, even if it's just a cable tie.

The Atomic spring C-straps are great, as the are the Dive-Rite's. You might try those.

Pardon my lack of clarity. I was referring to a possible laceration NOT from the spring itself, but rather the piece of metal that I have seen the spring attached to.

In other words, the spring itself attaches to a buckle of some sort.....many I have seen are plastic(no issue with these) and some have been made from stainless. They resemble little mounting plates with the lopsided hourglass hole punched in them. THIS is what I fear is the laceration risk, NOT the spring itself.

David

Thats why you cover the S buckle with plastic as well if your concerned about that. My wife said the same thing when I made ours. She insisted that I cover hers. After about 200 dives on both.......I can say we are both cut free.........lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom