Spray painting a galvanized tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, below I've cut and pasted an incident from one of the other topics.
After reading this, it seems this has happened to me before.
With my youngest doing her OW in August, I'm thinking I may want to be a little more recognizable to my dive buddies....especially her.
Has anyone tried using spray paint on a steel galvanized tank to distinguish yourself from the rest of the pack?
My regular dive buddy has neon green tanks and I can see him from a mile away even in poor viz.I'm thinking something similar to my buddies tanks.

Went diving at the beach over the weekend. It was crowded! Never seen so many divers in the water at the same time.

Did the usual dive to the main wall, saw a HUGE fried-egg jellyfish, biggest I've seen, and spent some time checking it out.

Then my buddy started to move along for the rest of the dive and I followed. Several minutes later, I asked myself why his fins were a different color? And who was this other diver tagging along with us?

Then I realized: this was not my buddy! I had joined some other pair. Lost buddy procedure seemed pointless after so much time and distance, but nonetheless I thumbed my dive. Couldn't find buddy on the surface, but we met up again on shore, swapped tanks, did another dive.

I've seen students and tourists make this same mistake; never thought I'd be distracted enough to make the same error.

Tank wraps leave too much of a chance for water to hide and develop corrosion beneath.
I won't even put NITROX stickers on my tanks.

I do not put nitrox stickers on my cylinders either. These are better: Tank stickers

As for painting - if you want something that will be visible thinking about painting stripes or something else besides a solid color. That said IMHO there is rarely the need for such measures as part of diving and having a buddy is being in proximity of each other especially if it was my kid.

I don't believe the problem is the tank.

How about just using proper buddy procedures to begin with. Slowest diver sets the pace, no more than 1/4 turn of the head to see them, no more than a body length away even in unlimited vis, etc. If her instructor says these are not possible for new divers or does not even talk about them get a new instructor. OW divers who are taught and properly use good buddy procedures don't get seperated. The example given is a clear demo of disregard of those procedures or lack of training in them. Even though I do dive solo when possible, if diving with a buddy there is no reason save some catastrophic event that will separate us. Otherwise no use in even having a buddy.

No choice if you dive with Nitrox its a requirement

Actually it is not. All you need is a current hydro and vis with an O2 clean note on it or a nice small O2 clean sticker. The bumper stickers are just another way to shake down divers for whatever the cost is.

Actually it is not. All you need is a current hydro and vis with an O2 clean note on it or a nice small O2 clean sticker. The bumper stickers are just another way to shake down divers for whatever the cost is.

That's what we were talking about he stated "I would not even put a Nitrox sticker on my tank" which is required up here in Canada if you want to dive with Nitrox so you are in effect agreeing with my post, never mentioned anything about bumper stickers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom