Spool for ~100' Dive? (looking on DGX Website)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="Johnoly, post: 8753615, member: 11846"Manta Reels = Can't break it[/QUOTE]

I'll take that challenge.... :D

How is it not handy?
It is too wide to hold comfortably in one hand and let it spin freely. When I wear dry gloves, the hole is a tad too small. At least for my anthropometric parameters.

A primary reel with hundreds of feet of line seems excessive to carry around for shooting a bag. More than likely it will end up being left on the boat. Where a small spool will always be there. Assuming you don’t loose it of course...

A primary reel with hundreds of feet of line seems excessive to carry around for shooting a bag. More than likely it will end up being left on the boat. Where a small spool will always be there. Assuming you don’t loose it of course...

I definitely do not want a 400'+ "primary" reel . Like you said....I'm not going to want to lug something that size around.

The LM 150 spools are solidly made and have a large hole which are good when wearing gloves. The dacron line that DGX sells them with ain't that bad either.

I recently bought the DGX one, Large. Hole seemed sized fine to me. I can send you a pic with measurements later if you want.

As far as reels go, I have never shot a bag with any of them, I have Dive Rite reels (both the classic and the slide-lock) and Manta. i much prefer the Manta.

DeepSeaExplorer:

I definitely do not want a 400'+ "primary" reel . Like you said....I'm not going to want to lug something that size around.

Not sure what your guys' definition of "lugging around" is. A reel is only going to be left on the boat if you leave it on the boat, just like a spool or anything else. I carry a 400 foot reel and unless I reach for it, I can't tell that it's there, so I'm pretty sure that most divers can carry a 200 foot reel without any problem - it's not that much bigger than a spool.

You take the amount of line you need to shoot a bag from depth, accounting for scope. You said you were doing a 100 foot dive. With significant current, 150 feet would be about right, so 200 feet of line is hardly excessive. Especially for that day when you do a 120 foot dive, or want to run a line anywhere it would help with navigation.

^^All great points above. I posted almost the same thing but I don't think it made it to the thread because as a new member my posts were moderated.

- A reel that holds 200 ft of line isn't all that much larger or bulky than a finger spool and no more noticeable when it's hanging from a lower D ring.
- You need at least 150' of line when you're diving close to 100' in current
- A reel is much easier to use than a finger spool, especially the Manta Jr which has an easy hand grip lock, you simply squeeze it to let out line, you don't need to feel for, or look for the lock release or turn a knob.

Back
Top Bottom