What is the tape/material used on this DGX spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

I bought one of DGX's aluminum spools and am really happy with it. The one thing I'm not happy about is how they finish the very end of it; since the line isn't taped flat, it gets stuck trying to pull the line back through the hole after securing it. I'd like to cut off the black tape on the yellow section and redo it so that it lays flat and inline with the line direction.

I can obviously do this by just tying a knot, but I like the tape for extra security over the knot. Does anyone know what this material is and whether I can buy some? I'm not sure it's actually tape and might just be a shrink wrap of some sort. I asked DGX this morning but the rep was unsure what it was exactly.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Spool.jpg
    Spool.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 164
It looks like heat shring to me. You can buy it in the electric/ele tronic section of most any hardware store.

-Z

The black covered section is designed to create a tab one can pull while wearing gloves to remove the girth hitched line fro. A dsmb or whatever one attaches the line to during a dive.

-Z

The black covered section is designed to create a tab one can pull while wearing gloves to remove the girth hitched line fro. A dsmb or whatever one attaches the line to during a dive.

-Z

The method I was taught to secure the line is to pull it through one of the holes, enclose the loop in the snap bolt, then do a single wrap around the body and then back into the eye of the snap. Doing this requires that taped part to pass through the hole, where it gets caught because it's rigid. I just tied my own knot further back in the yellow line for a glove grip and it works well.

Looks like standard heat shrink tubing. Is there a spec or part number listed onthe piece next to the swivel?

Yes, but I can't quite make it out. I'll just search for shrink tubing. Thank you.

I have one of those spools. It's heat shrink tubing available at electronics hobby stores or big box hardware stores.

The method I was taught to secure the line is to pull it through one of the holes, enclose the loop in the snap bolt, then do a single wrap around the body and then back into the eye of the snap. Doing this requires that taped part to pass through the hole, where it gets caught because it's rigid. I just tied my own knot further back in the yellow line for a glove grip and it works well.

I dont have one of those spinner things on my line. I make a big loop in the line to girth hitch onto my dsmb or what have you and then there are two small loops for pull tabs...one is at the very end of the big loop and the other is about halfway down one side of the big loop so that i have something to grap to pull the oune back through the hole in the rimnof the spool.

Lately I just keep the spool connected to my dsmb and stuff them both in one of the thigh pocketa of my drysuit.

-Z

Careful with the heat shrink tubing. There is a fine line between hot enough to shrink the tubing and hot enough to weaken the nylon/polyester line. Good idea to test your line strength before you dive.

Use a hair dryer instead of a flame and all should go well.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom