Split fins worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I took up diving I inherited a beat up old pair of really stiff graphite fins.
At first I was happy beacause well they were passed down and free. They had an excellent big foot pocket and I could do any kickstlye Iwanted with success.
BUT... I was being left behind(literally) by all of my buddies who had jumped onto the split fin wagon. Well I wasn't about to spend money on new fins whilst my old ones were still intact.
Then I received a pair of splits as a gift. They really are very good, Quick, easy on the legs and feet, etc.
It has taken some getting used to like checking that they are still there as they slice the water and also trying to perfect some kicks again, which I have done.
It is true that as you begin to go into doubles etc, they seem to loose some effectiveness, and no way am I going to toss out my old fins "just in case", but for what they cost me worth every single cent. I like me' fine.

QUOTE;I've heard that certain types of modified kicks are very difficult if not impossible to perform in split fins. If you're never going to do anything besides a flutter kick, then splits will not be a problem.

I have to say that you are wrong IMHO. I spent 30+ years in a pair of jet fins. When I tried a pair of splits, I was sold. I rarely do a flutter kick, preferring a frog kick. My twin speeds (a much stiffer model than most) are great. I will admit that I find my sister's Apollo's a little too mushy for my taste.

I second everything Finch said. I do the frog kick & dolphin kick more than the flutter kick. I've heard that some photographers have trouble "backing up" in splits, which I've never tried (or needed) to do. The big plus, for new divers, is that the splits are much more accomodating of poor kick mechanics (bicycling, etc.).

I started out in Blades, but kept getting cramps. This never happens with splits. I tried going back, and the Blades felt like plywood boards strapped to my feet.

My advice is to go to your LDS and try different splits in the pool .. not all split fins are the same. Bio fins seem to be more flexible than TUSA Zoom fins, for example. That's not good or bad, but merely a personal preference.

Apollo makes three versions of the all rubber bio-fin pro. The original black version is made in 65 durometer rubber and has the least resistance with the least effort. The colored versions, yellow and blue are manufactured with a 70 durometer and have a bit more "feel" and "bite". The bio-fin pro XT is @ 75 durometer and feels and acts more like a paddle fin. Older divers, used to a wide slow kick, sometimes prefer the stiffer versions since there is little modification and they can execute any style kick w/o a problem. Our best selling model is the bio-fin pro. We also offer the SS spring straps pre-installed on the bio-fin pro and XT and soon on the bio-fin pro yellow. All
bio-fins are 100% natural rubber and compression molded.

ScubaDadMiami:
Try backwards kicking with a split fin and try doing a frog kick with them. Next, put on a set of large volume, double steel tanks and a couple of deco bottles, and try to go anywhere in split fins. Split fins are not nearly as efficient in these circumstances.

Don't worry - just a little practice, and you'll have no trouble doing these kicks with split fins. I certainly have no difficulty at all. I've got a pair of 25 year-old jet fins that aren't getting used for anything except decoration. Those vents never made the slightest sense. The most convincing argument I've heard in their favor is from those who like that they're heavy - this is important if you believe that the less weight on your belt the better a diver you are.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you HAVE gone diving with split fins more than once before concluding they don't work (otherwise there would no point in anyone's listening to your opinion). Based on lots of experience with both types of fin under discussion I have little doubt that one can do any type of kick effectively with whatever fin one finds comfortable. You just need more practice.

fookisan:
On my last few dives my left ankle has been acting up and wonder if split fins would take off some of the strain? Been using standard fins all my life and wonder if I should make the switch...they seem so overpriced at $140 and $160 a pair which is what my local dive shop gets for them. What are the best values?

Thanks,

Dan

I prefer paddle fins due to design and rigidity which allows me to better fine tune my movements underwater. BUT...I also think in a normal recreation dive enviroment splits could help you reduce ankle strain noticeably. I am able to perform all kick styles that work with paddles using splits with a minor but noticable loss in fine tuning, not enough of a loss to rule them out as valid alternatives. No, I do not think they are the best choice for double tanks or technical diving but that is not the issue you asked about.

I would look around on this board for posts discussing splits to look at the pros and cons of the various models on the market and also if at all possible beg or borrow some splits to try out. In my limited experince with splits I would recommend looking at either SP Twin-jets or Apollo Bio-fins as possibilities based on personal use and discussions with divers using these fins. But I expect you already know about all this based on your experince.

If you are looking to reduce to cost of splits, I bet you can find your chosen model discounted online.

Peace Bro, enjoy the diving...ain't life grand?!?

fookisan:
Are the scubapro twin jets good to buy? Do not know if you mentioned them as a positive example or not?

Thanks ,

Dan

I learned to dive using the Apollo Bio Fins. They are great fins and as mentioned earlier, they continually win Scuba Diving magazine's annual fin test. However, I chose to buy the ScubaPro Twin Jets because several colors they make (yellow, cobalt, and graphite) are positively buoyant. It's nice to know that if you drop your fins in the water that they aren't immediately headed for the bottom.

Bottom line: Everyone researching fins (or any equipment) should try a few different models. Most divers I've encountered are more than willing to let people try their equipment. Also some LDS have a way for you to check out different models before buying.

I dive the SP Twin Jets. I have become a frog kicker. I feel I can pivot and frog and shuffle kick fine. I don't think I can back up. I have not YET tried the old school jet.

One comment on stiffness that I haven't seen pointed out. The SP Twin Jet black is stiffer and negatively bouyant. The other colors (gray, blue, yellow) are comparitively softer and positive. I have the black ones. We also have blue and gray in the family. I prefer the black.

I don't dive in any current except one drift diving week were I was rding it and not working into it. I can see that trying to push doubles while wearing a drysuit will be more than the Twins can handle. I hope to have that problem in the not too distant future :)

One if the other students in my class were using his old solid fins and he tried on the instructors fins...so to say he bought the atomic split fins for both him and his son. He was just taking a refresher course with his son but he couldn't believe the difference - he thought it was normal to get a cramp after diving. I used to surf and have always swam and they do make a huge difference.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom