Split fins worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting thread ... and obviously lots of differing opinions. For those who claim they can reverse kick in splits, you have my admiration. I put over 600 dives on my Bio-Fins and never could get it figured out ... and not for lack of trying. I got all the other kicks down OK ... but let's be honest folks. The mechanics of the fins are different, and so are the techniques and results for each style of kick. What works best for any given individual usually boils down to what you get used to ... and what works for your style of diving. And that entails a lot of subjective opinion on all our parts.

About 650 or so dives ago I switched over to Turtles, not because I thought they were inherently better ... but because they were better suited for the style of diving I wanted to pursue. After about 50 dives on my Turtles, I decided to sell my Bio-Fins ... not because I thought they were bad fins, but because it took me that many dives to start getting used to the Turtles, and convincing myself that they were, in fact, the correct choice of fin for where I wanted to go with my diving skills. Point being that popping on somebody else's fins will rarely tell you whether they are, in fact, better suited for you because your muscles are trained to get the best results out of the gear you've been using. It takes at least a few dives, and usually more than that, to really appreciate the differences between one fin and another.

In comparison ... the Bio-Fins provided better propulsion with less effort for a standard flutter kick. And to those who claim they kick up too much silt I reply ... not if you use them properly. I think the main reason so many split fin users kick up silt is because they're so easy to overkick. Stay in the slipstream and you won't kick up silt. I could frog just fine in the splits ... but be advised, it's a different technique. And when I switched over, I had a heck of a time re-learning a frog kick with standard fins ... it looked more like a flog than a frog, and was rather ineffective until I found the right muscle adjustments.

I could helicopter just fine in splits ... but comparing the helicopter turn in the Bio-Fins to that in the Turtles is like comparing a U-turn in an SUV to that in a sports car. The Turtles will spin you in a much tighter circle. Again, it's not a knock on the fin ... it's a matter of how the mechanics of the fin are designed to work. Different tools are better at different jobs. And frankly, for most folks it won't matter ... unless you're turning inside a cave or a ship, you've got plenty of space to work with.

Reverse kick ??? If you can do it in splits, I wanna see how. I dive with some very experienced folks ... many of whom prefer splits for various reasons. I've yet to see any of them do an effective reverse kick in splits. Most of 'em simply acknowledge it's a limitation and choose the splits anyway, for other reasons.

The originator of this post gave one of the best reasons for choosing splits. Diving is supposed to be fun. And you're not having much fun if it hurts when you kick. The logical thing to do is choose a fin that doesn't make it hurt. Splits are inherently better suited for that application. Just go into it with your eyes open ... recognize that they're better at certain things and not so good at other things.

Like every other piece of scuba gear you'll ever own, there are trade-offs. The right piece of gear for you is the one that offers the advantages you most want, and the disadvantages you can most live with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
The originator of this post gave one of the best reasons for choosing splits. Diving is supposed to be fun. And you're not having much fun if it hurts when you kick. The logical thing to do is choose a fin that doesn't make it hurt. Splits are inherently better suited for that application. Just go into it with your eyes open ... recognize that they're better at certain things and not so good at other things.

Like every other piece of scuba gear you'll ever own, there are trade-offs. The right piece of gear for you is the one that offers the advantages you most want, and the disadvantages you can most live with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob makes several excellent points, but the one that struck me the most was his reference to the original poster’s reason for considering splits. I think that all too often we try to vehemently defend our choice of gear as the “best” available and in turn try to recommend that particular gear to everyone. There is nothing wrong with being satisfied that you’ve chosen the best gear for your needs, but frequently we suggest our choice of equipment without considering the needs of the person asking the question.

fookisan inquired:
fookisan:
On my last few dives my left ankle has been acting up and wonder if split fins would take off some of the strain?

I think that given the specific question, one of the softer compound split fins would be an excellent choice. . .

Jeff

xiSkiGuy:
Bob makes several excellent points, but the one that struck me the most was his reference to the original poster’s reason for considering splits. I think that all too often we try to vehemently defend our choice of gear as the “best” available and in turn try to recommend that particular gear to everyone. There is nothing wrong with being satisfied that you’ve chosen the best gear for your needs, but frequently we suggest our choice of equipment without considering the needs of the person asking the question.
Jeff

I certainly agree with that statement.

After reading Bob's post I want to clarify my first post by saying that I can't reverse kick in paddle fins let alone splits. :06:

Absolutely it is worth to invest your money for a split fin.

True, it mgiht be difficult to perfrom a frog kick and back kick. But, don't assume that most rec. divers need to do a frog kick and back kick.

I disagree that you can't do the frog kick ... pull your feet up together towards your behind. flick outward and extend legs, repeat. This is an important kick if you are swimming near the bottom and want to avoid stirring up the sand/silt. For me it seems to be the most comfortable kick.

As for the "backup kick," I don't know how to do one in paddle fins OR splits, but have never needed to (I'm not a photographer).

Many rec. divers used to do a modified flutter kick instead of a frog kick.......

In my Scubapro Twin Jets, I do a good Frog Kick, Helicopter, Scissor, Modified and regular Flutter and do them all just fine. I can do a reverse frog but with a little more trouble. I also own Jet fins and have the option of using both. I like being able to move with less effort using the Twin Jets. Funny that the people that don't have good things to say about splits really don't have any experience with them. Let this thread not degrade into a bashing of the majority of the diving population that doesn't descend with 200 cubic feet of air and 30 feet of low pressure hose. The fact is that split fins will benefit many recreational divers (thats most of us). I find them to be easier on my joints as do other divers. If you are a non tech diver and just like to have safe, fun dives and would like something that is easy to kick with lots of power then perhaps a split fin design may work for you.

Dan, I don't have that great an opinion of split fins. My wife got a pair for a trip and she HATED them. She normally uses an ancient pair Cressi freediving fins, but they're nightmares to pack even on home-based dives. I had a pair of Force Fin Foils for a while. They were super comfortable, but that split feature wasted thrust. So they got eBayed.
You should use your ankle problem to justify buying a scooter. This will greatly enhance your diving and status with your peers. Failing that, find a pool near you and swim a couple of miles per week at least with your fins. Work those legs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom