Split fins worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The better versions of split fins, Apollo, Atomic, Oceanic, Scuba-Pro, Tusa, perform fine with backward kicks, frog kicks, dolphin kicks, vertical hold, etc. and still provide more propulsion with less effort.

Nice conclusion from someone who has no idea what anybody else feel like.

Like the original poster, I use split fins because I have a damaged knee and ankle. It's a choice between painless diving with my Twin-Jets, or no diving with normal fins.

True, I'll never know the joy of frok-kicking a set of doubles backwards through a cave, but that's life. I'll just have to do without that experience, since the other option is to do without all diving.

I think someone needs to have a slightly more flexible opinion towards the choices of others.

Terry

ScubaDadMiami:
Try backwards kicking with a split fin and try doing a frog kick with them. Next, put on a set of large volume, double steel tanks and a couple of deco bottles, and try to go anywhere in split fins. Split fins are not nearly as efficient in these circumstances.

For all these reasons, you don't need a split fin. Save your money.

fookisan:
On my last few dives my left ankle has been acting up and wonder if split fins would take off some of the strain?
Dan

No need to split hairs. The answer is "Yes".

In fact, the gentle motion will probably make your joints feel better than they did before you went diving.

Terry

JustinW:
Split fins are worth the money.....sorta. There are a lot of split fin designs that are junk (DIR guys would argue all of them). You want a split fin with a stiff spine so its not too floppy. Scubapro twin jets are a good example, there is another that I can't remember the name of right now but it has a smaller fin surface area. Ankle problems can be a sign of several different problems. Could be a fin with a foot pocket that is too large, a blade that is too stiff or something else.

Are the scubapro twin jets good to buy? Do not know if you mentioned them as a positive example or not?

Thanks ,

Dan

Dan:

Scuba-Pro twin jets are a very good version of the split fin technology. Try them out for several dives and see for yourself. A light easy kick within the slipstream works best. If you prefer a wider kick, or lower end torque, other stiffer versions are available. The best split fins are from Apollo, Atomic, Oceanic, Scuba-Pro and Tusa. You will not go wrong with the SP Twin Jets. The split fin uses the same principle as an air craft wing:www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Principles.htm Most marine mammal fins are also "split fins": Whales, seals, sea lions and long distance fish. Less resistance and more propulsion with a lot less effort. Best wishes for lots of safe diving.

JustinW:
Split fins are worth the money.....sorta. There are a lot of split fin designs that are junk (DIR guys would argue all of them). You want a split fin with a stiff spine so its not too floppy. Scubapro twin jets are a good example, there is another that I can't remember the name of right now but it has a smaller fin surface area. Ankle problems can be a sign of several different problems. Could be a fin with a foot pocket that is too large, a blade that is too stiff or something else.

I can't agree with this. Admittedly, I'm working with little experience, but from the split fins I've tried, the "floppy" ones give more thrust with less work.

Consider: If the fin is not "floppy" then what's the advantage? Of the ones I've tried, atomic splits give me the same problem the original poster had: sore ankles. They are big, heavy, stiff, and as a result are more efficient at moving water up and down than away from me as they should. I believe the whole idea is for the fins to push water away from you - providing thrust. If the fin doesn't "flop" then it's not doing this very well. Tusa zooms for me - very floppy - feels like I'm not wearing fins and they propel me quickly with little effort.

I suppose I should try scubapro twins and apollo bios before I blabber too much more on this subject. :wink:

there is no substitute for trying things to make up your own mind.

mdb:
Dan:

Scuba-Pro twin jets are a very good version of the split fin technology. Try them out for several dives and see for yourself. A light easy kick within the slipstream works best. If you prefer a wider kick, or lower end torque, other stiffer versions are available. The best split fins are from Apollo, Atomic, Oceanic, Scuba-Pro and Tusa. You will not go wrong with the SP Twin Jets. The split fin uses the same principle as an air craft wing:www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Principles.htm Most marine mammal fins are also "split fins": Whales, seals, sea lions and long distance fish. Less resistance and more propulsion with a lot less effort. Best wishes for lots of safe diving.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

I dive with the Oceanic V12's, they are great. I use less energy than before, it almost feels like you are not finning at all compared to standard fins. They are not cheap, but worth it in my mind. Here is a review: http://tinyurl.com/d9ubd

I found when i was using paddle fins and really had to work against a current, my ankles would hurt a fair bit in the second dive. I switched to using a pair of Oceanic V12s and that didnt happen any more, and it seemed to be a bit easier to keep up with my very fit dive buddy. I also found that when i changed over to the splits i no longer got calf and foot cramps, which i used to get when i had to work a bit harder in a current with the paddle fins.

I think my ankle would hurt because i would get so fatigued with the paddle fins and it just put a lot of pressure on the joint. I am taking the stairs at work to strengthen up my leg muscles more, but i am planning on staying with my lovely split fins. They feel kinda heavy out of the water, but when you get in you can barely feel them and still have the power.

I was a bit hesitant about the price, but I am glad i spent it now. There were some other splits at the LDS but they said those ones really didnt compare to the V12s and they even gave me a rather large discount so i could afford get them... :)

A couple of dive stores told me that apparently some of the cheaper versions of the splits blades cross over when you fin, losing the whole 'vortex' effect that makes them so efficient. I havent tried any of the other split ones so i really dont know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom