Split Fins in Strong Current and on Surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Ladyhawk so I am on my back on the surface but have never noticed less efficiency with my Oceanic split fins. (Now I am curious and want to do a few comparison dives to see for sure.) I was told they are not as good for snorkeling but have found that I could swim very fast while snorkeling and wearing them, even with daughter in tow. I do believe my kick is stronger and faster when needed. (I do have muscle tone.) Our last trip to Coz necessitated the need for a stronger, faster kick as the currents were crazy to say the least. I actually thought while dragging myself and my new diver daughter along against a strong current how grateful I was to have my split fins. (It seems I am always dragging her along with me) Not sure I could have made it without them. We will never know for sure though because to create the same situation again so I could compare it???? Would not want to go through that again.

I liked my Biofins ... put several hundred dives on them in all kinds of conditions. Never had trouble in current or surface swimming.

Then I got Turtles, because I wanted to learn more different finning techniques. Felt like I had logs on my feet for a few dives, then I started getting used to them and enjoyed the additional maneuverability they offered. After about 40 or 50 dives I tried the Biofins again and they felt "mushy". So I sold them.

Yesterday I bought a pair of SP Jet fins ... because I'm going to Bonaire and my Turtles are way too big for my wetsuit boots. Can't wait to try out the Jets ... but since they're too small for my drysuit boots, I might just have to stay in Bonaire till I wear 'em out ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
snip....I'm going to Bonaire
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Your life really sucks doesn't it. lol

I have split fins that I wear when diving wet and I have Jet fins that I use when diving dry. I like both of them. I have been in some pretty stiff currents in the split fins and I have had no problems (due to the fins). I typically use a frog kick with my splits.

The Jets are great too. I look the part with my drysuit and the same fin that everyone else on the boat has. :rolleyes: They move me through the water and I like the fact that they are negative.

I have another pair of cheapo fins that I bought when I re-certified a few years ago. They stink. I get foot cramps when I use them and they hardly move me through the water.

So to sum it up: try out lots of different fins and buy what works for you.

#1 I dived over 30 years using jet fins, so I really know what they are like.

#2 I tried a pair of split fins, SP twin jets. I was amazed at how effortless they were and how fast. I almost exclusively use frog kicks from many years of cave diving. It is rare for me to use a flutter kick. I, not only kept up with my paddle fin friends, I often passed them with less effort.

#3 I did try my sister's Apollos and didn't like how mushy they were and how little fine movement I had with them. If they are people's only experience with splits, I understand how little they liked splits, IMHO.

#4 I tried SP twin speeds and liked them so much I sold the twin jets and bought a pair. They are very stiff and offer even better fine movement. They frog kick like.....

#5 On a very high current dive in PNG, the divemaster and I had to get to the mooring line to put a tie wrap in the shackle for mooring overnight. We had to swim into a hellacious current. He was wearing huge paddle fins and I was in my speeds. We broke over the reef top at the same time and I beat him to the mooring line. I know I exerted myself less by just watching him breathe. No good in current??? RIGHT!

#6 I have used these splits for photos, where fine movement is a must. I have also (egads!!!) used them in caves with excellent results. No silting here...

There are many different styles of splits, just as there are many different paddle fins. I have used many fins over my diving career and I feel I can make an unbiased comparison. I admit that I get impatient with people, usually with limited actual experience with what they're flaming, who decry the merits of "something new".

I've never heard of Twin Speeds and certainly have never heard of them. I have tried Apollos and Twin Jets. Neither of them are adequate.

Walter:
I've never heard of Twin Speeds and certainly have never heard of them.

Huh? I'm not sure what you said, but I guess I know what you mean.

edwinh,
In response to the review, His was not my experience at all. I went from the jet fin to the twin speed. I knew what reliable finning was. I wasn't a newbie that has only used a split and, therefore, little to compare with. I found them very good across the board. In current, frog kicking, fine movement, power movement, backing up, comfort. I used several split models to find the one I liked the best. Is there a fin out there better? Probably, but I haven't found it yet. My trusty jet fins are not forgotten, but they are getting dusty.

Back
Top Bottom