Split Fins in Strong Current and on Surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When on my back, I tend to use the same kick as I would with paddle fins.
The split fins then become rather ineffecient. I suppose it's more me than the fins.
When I roll over to face down, my body and legs straighten out, I go into a flutter kick and away I go. Hope this answers your question.

Walter:
Once again, you guess incorrectly. Perhaps you should stop guessing and ask?

Actually, perhaps I will stop wasting my time as I can see where this is headed.

Suffice to say. I have no problem with split fins on the surface (I swim on my back) or in the water.

And UP, regarding your poorly disguised jabs at my fitness level - I'd expect alot more from a moderator.

Hi TX101,
You say that you have no problem swimming on your back with split fins. Please share the way you use your fins to your advantage. I do rather poorly when on my back with split fins and could certainly use your help to improve.

I'm in very good physical condition via wieght training and cycling. Split fins are so much the better. And not just for folks that are not in high pysical shape.

TX101:
And UP, regarding your poorly disguised jabs at my fitness level - I'd expect alot more from a moderator.
Nah... you aren't the subject of this thread nor my post.

I was merely making the observation that the occasional recreational/tourist diver would really appreciate split fins... and I am sure that I am correct in this.

Wouldn't you agree?

Uncle Pug:
Nah... you aren't the subject of this thread nor my post.

I was merely making the observation that the occasional recreational/tourist diver would really appreciate split fins... and I am sure that I am correct in this.

Wouldn't you agree?

I think you left a couple of things out:

"The occasional recreational/tourist diver with little skill and less muscle tone will appreciate split fins."

Sure sounds like a jab to me. Oh by the way...I dive for fun...and I appreciate my fins

Personally, I love my splits and my blades for different environments and types of diving.

I prefer the splits for open water. They make is nice and easy to move along, whether on the surface on my back or underwater, both in and out of currents. Nice relaxing kicks, whether frog or flutter.

Now, in silty environments which is my usual play ground, I use a blade. Simple reason, splits really make a mess, even when using the frog kick. The vortex coming off the fin is hard to control the direction of, thus it kicks up a lot of silt. So, the blades work well for this type of diving, for me.

My experience only, others have their own experiences.

Boat:
I think you left a couple of things out:

"The occasional recreational/tourist diver with little skill and less muscle tone will appreciate split fins."
I forgot to add that from the original... thank you.

Wouldn't you agree that those with little skill and less muscle tone would prefer spits to paddle type fins?

IMHO, SP Jetfins rule!!!!!!!!!!

To my counterparts who advocate in favor of split fins, I invite you to come to Key Largo and dive the Spiegel Grove, be dropped on the stern buoy and try to swim back (not pull yourself hand-over-hand on the return trip) to your ascent/descent line with your splits and see if the boat that dropped you is the same one that greets you. Chances are you'd be OOA before you reach the line. :D

I thought split fins was a gimmick, people actually use those????

Uncle Pug:
Wouldn't you agree that those with little skill and less muscle tone would prefer spits to paddle type fins?

I really don't know about the skill....but I would definitely agree than a "less muscle toned" person would appreciate the ease of movement...and probably appreciate the gas savings even more. The way I figure it, less effort...uses less gas. Enjoy, Boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom