Split Fins in Strong Current and on Surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason different fins work for different people has to do primarily with 1) diving style and objective 2) skill level and physical ability.

The occasional recreational/tourist diver with little skill and less muscle tone will appreciate split fins.

I use Apollo Bio Fins and love them. They greatly reduce fatigue without any apparent loss of thrust. I won't be going back.

Is this where someone posts that SP Jet-fins are the best and if you use anything else you are likely to drown immediately and suffer horribly because we told you that they're the best?

Walter:
Fact: I never tested speed. I'm never in a hurry.

I guess you don't dive much in current either..

deadend:
Is this where someone posts that SP Jet-fins are the best and if you use anything else you are likely to drown immediately and suffer horribly because we told you that they're the best?

How does one "drown immediately" AND "suffer horribly" at the same time? Wouldn't it be one or the other? Unless of course you are going to "suffer horribly" after you drown. In which case you may need to do some soul-searching before you get in the water next time. :)

Want some speed out of your split fins? Try keeping your legs straight (no bend at the knees). Use your Gluts in a flutter kick. You'll be surprised at the speed and comfort split fins will give you if used properly. It does take practice, especially if you've used paddle type fins most of your diving career. The split fins that I use are the Oceanic V-12's. Slow diving lets me see as much as I can and appreciate what I do see. When the need for speed arises ( swimming against long shore currants or just catching up to my buddies) the V-12 fins have not let me down. The downside...they do suck when swimming on your back. Fourreal

As for diving in current, I'm not referring to a case of going against current on purpose. Normally, i'll drift with the current. However, I have encountered on many occasions where two strong current on opposite directions meet and start to go downwards. I was holding on to a rock and flipping around, battered by the two currents. In the end, I had to swim hard against one of them into a sheltered bay.

What I mean by strong current is that when you turn your head sideways when swimming against it, your mask will be pushed around and your reg tend to flood.

The very plus point about the split fins is the speed with lesser effort, which in rec diving doesn't seem to gel too well. If you are going rocket fast, what are you gonna see?

Wouldn't good control and stability, with good performance against current and on surface a better factor to choose fins? As for finning on the back, that's pretty much what I do on the surface ever since I took off my snorkel. Does anyone else with split fins have problems on the surface finning on your back?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom