Split fins/Frog Kick...No problems..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

You first. Go ahead and bet me. LOL

When I first opened my shop I bought a few pairs to stock because they were so popular. I still have every single pair.

I would sell them if I had the chance but I tell every one what I think of them so it makes it hard to sell em.
One word mike.....E-Bay....keep a pair for entertainment value though

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

I hope this is a joke? So if a student wants a pair of split fins for his or her O/W class you will not allow them to train in the fins they will be using once they are out on their own? Who's job is it to oversea the proper fin technique regardless of fin style?

No Joke. I teach several different propulsion techniques that I've had little to no success trying to teach to divers using split fins. Once a student has practised those techniques in class they are free to decide for themselves whether or not they'll apply them in the rest of their diving career. Few if any (I'm not aware of any) ever consider splits after their class. They are of course free to go to a different instructor.

to see someone do an effective backward kick in a set of doubles. I also don't allow split fins in my classes and I don't allow Air2's.

I have a pair of Oceanic Vortex splits. I love this fin, alot of power for very little exertion. Yes, I can do frog kicks in them and other modified kicks, no problem. Everything is great, but they suck in strong current. So, my splits are only going to be used for warm and calm water diving. I also have Jets - I find doing modified kicks much easier against the splits but requiring more effort. In cold water drysuit diving I find my jets give me the "stiffness" and propulsion I might need against a current.

Just as a illustration, I was using my splits in 3-4 knot current and I remained "in place" while my buddy, using jets managed to move into the current.

The end result is that I don't use splits in places where the current tend to be pretty stong but will use them in easy diving conditions.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Cincy,

Couple of questions:

1. Do you sell split fins in your store?

2. Do you sell Jets in your store?

3. Do you sell jacket BC's in your store?

4. Do you sell backplates and wings in your store?

Thanks.

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.....What difference does that make? Did you even bother to read my original post or are you just trolling for trouble as usual?

But by the way..My store has been closed for 3 months due to illness.....So...Whatever your point is....Just give it up.

cnidae once bubbled...
to see someone do an effective backward kick in a set of doubles. I also don't allow split fins in my classes and I don't allow Air2's.

ditto on the lackofAIRandinthewrongplace2 but the doubles don't get in the way unless you strap them to your legs instead of wearing them on your back.

IzzyTahil once bubbled...
I have a pair of Oceanic Vortex splits. I love this fin, alot of power for very little exertion. Yes, I can do frog kicks in them and other modified kicks, no problem. Everything is great, but they suck in strong current. So, my splits are only going to be used for warm and calm water diving. I also have Jets - I find doing modified kicks much easier against the splits but requiring more effort. In cold water drysuit diving I find my jets give me the "stiffness" and propulsion I might need against a current.

Just as a illustration, I was using my splits in 3-4 knot current and I remained "in place" while my buddy, using jets managed to move into the current.

The end result is that I don't use splits in places where the current tend to be pretty stong but will use them in easy diving conditions.

Well put..But the 3-4 know current..That's a little excessive. OSHA will not even allow commercial divers in water faster than 3 knots without all kinds of extra support and extra lines.

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.....What difference does that make? Did you even bother to read my original post or are you just trolling for trouble as usual?

But by the way..My store has been closed for 3 months due to illness.....So...Whatever your point is....Just give it up.

it is apparent that you started the thread as another
anti-DIR/GUE troll. So whatever your point is....you just give it up.

boomx5 once bubbled...

it is apparent that you started the thread as another
anti-DIR/GUE troll. So whatever your point is....you just give it up.

Ahhh....Someone finally brought up DIR/GUE and can't take responsibilty for it. Imagine that.

O, I see, because a few of us have no problems with split fins and are trying to help others...We are Anti-DIR-FA.

When have we ever "bashed" the jet fins. I've said they work great for some folks but I prefer the splits. Heaven forbid that someone is to like splits over jets....My bad.

Good luck with your adventures.

You've got a really bad attitude. I just asked a couple of simple questions. No threats. No attacks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom