Split fins/Frog Kick...No problems..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac once bubbled...
I remember you ordering it. How do you like it?

Hallmac

I'm loving it. When I first got it I wasnt too sure about it. It seemed like it was a little too big, it wasnt comfortable, it leaked, wasnt warm, blah blah blah.

But.

I did some more dives with it.

I changed undergarmets.

I started rolling the neck seal down.

I did some more dives wih it.

I cranked the shoulder dump wide open.

I added some neoprene hunting socks.

I did some more dives with it.

I changed the spring straps on my fins.

I added some bungee loops in my pocket.

I did some more dives on it.

Now...

I cant imagine not diving with it.

Thanks again for all the help with it.

Did a trial in a pool today with apollo biofins and atomic splits. Both fins can do the frog fine. We have it on video. Reverse kicks were a different experience. Can't get anywhere to speak of with the apollo's in reverse. There just seems to be no bite. It was possible go in reverse with the atomics, but it was touch and go. There would be a good grab of the water by the twin blades and you would get going, and then it was like the fins deserted you... you could feel the fin blades flopping all over the place at random angles. If you worked at it some more you could get them going again. We didn't get out a tape measure, but I went about 5-6 feet or so in reverse, and its on video. My conclusion is that frogs work the same for splits and non-splits, but reverse is another matter. I've decided to keep my jets.:D

Birdman once bubbled...
Did a trial in a pool today with apollo biofins and atomic splits. Both fins can do the frog fine. We have it on video. Reverse kicks were a different experience. Can't get anywhere to speak of with the apollo's in reverse. There just seems to be no bite. It was possible go in reverse with the atomics, but it was touch and go. There would be a good grab of the water by the twin blades and you would get going, and then it was like the fins deserted you... you could feel the fin blades flopping all over the place at random angles. If you worked at it some more you could get them going again. We didn't get out a tape measure, but I went about 5-6 feet or so in reverse, and its on video. My conclusion is that frogs work the same for splits and non-splits, but reverse is another matter. I've decided to keep my jets.:D

Thanks for the confirmation. That's precisely what the design of the fins would tell me would happen. The water flow in a forward motion would keep the two halves of the blade syncronized. In reverse, however, there is absolutely no control of the direction that the water flow will take the section of fin. I'm guessing that your video will show (while reversing) each half going in different directions sometimes, thus negating your backwards stroke or setup stroke.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Any experience on that yet?
All three pair I've tried have been in some current. Tuesday there was a down-slope current in one particular area and I was wishing I had my Turtles. :D

Charlie99

I used the ScubaPro Twin Jets in the Cooper River in SC in a three knot to zero current and at best 4' vis. and at worst 6" vis.

They worked fine on the bottom, as I was looking for fossils and weighted heavily and had a screwdriver driven into the bottom to avoid being swept away.

I did have a problem getting back to the boat when I surfaced downstream of it in a 3 knot current. The fins were not the issue, though. At the surface my Quattros would have been like lead on my feet. I speak from experience there.

Simply put, a three knot current is beyond the abilities of any fins, as you must exceed that speed to move forward. Having said that, here's what I do:

Splits in open water no current, easy diving. They are easier on the muscles, less air consumption, etc. Not too fast if you need to swim fast. Not as maneuvarable as Quattros.

Quattros for maneuvering, lots of 'thump' underwater if needed. Harder on the muscles in speed bursts, but fine on the muscles at at a leisurely pace.

As far as splits go in a current...I will use my Quattros next time. If I am underwater, they will get me to where I need to be. If I am at the surface and need speed at 3 knots again, nothing but a propeller will get me to the boat!!

Hope this helps.

charlie,

I have Atomic splits, one of my dive buddies here in Hawaii had xpert zooms.

We did a trip to the Mahi (wreck) and the second dive was at a place called Black Rock.

Lots of surge at Black Rock, there was even a few people when we got back to the boat who had called the dive early (like as soon as they got in the water and felt the current and surge). We made our dive, it wasn't the longest, but we both did fine in the current.

One of the big things I would have to recommend is that you have to have great trim in current - there were other people down there clawing along the rocks to get back to the mooring line that we had seen fighting the currents due to having a lot of surface area exposed due to bad trim.

AD

Let me preface this by saying that I have been diving since 1970. I used jet fins exclusively until 2 years ago. I thought nothing could compare to the jets. I set my teeth cave diving all over Florida, my home state.
Two years ago I borrowed some splits and, though they were too soft to relate my movements well, I really liked them. With experimenting, I bought a pair of SP twin speeds, their newer (stiffer) model. I never flutter kick, but mostly frog kick. I keep up with anyone I dive with doing the frog. Some people have even tried to "lose me" trying to prove splits are no good. They haven't lost me yet! I keep up and don't work as hard as they do.
I photograph, so backing up and subtle turning skills are important. I have absolutely no problems or I wouldn't use them when I take pics. I have seen too many poor photographers knock into the reefs trying to stabilize themselves.I have had no problems with the splits.
As for current...I now spend most of my time in the Pacific. I have dived off of Lombongan Island in Bali which is world famous for its horrendous currents. They go fast and also up and down-down-down. On "Blue Corner" where a fast turn at the end of the reef is important to survival, I kept up with all of the other fins. I spend most of my time in PNG which has it's share of strong currents. If I felt that they were ineffective here, I wouldn't lug them halfway around the world.....
I suggest that the split naysayers have either not used them or, used the softer less effective models, or just have refused to develope the skills to make them work for them. Sad to say, I gave away my trusty old jet fins. I just didn't use them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom