Split fins/Frog Kick...No problems..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
:)

I've read constantly on this board that you can not use split fins when frog kicking. This is total horsecrap.

I've been able to frog kick using my split fins since day 1. I again yesterday was frog kicking using my splits and thinking...Why do people have a problem with frog kicking when using the splits.

Do I know what a frog kick is..uhhhh.....Yes...

Do I know how to frog kick...uhhhhh......Yes...

So, what kinds of problems do people encounter when trying to frog kick with splits? Maybe I can help out or someone can help out with those that have that can't frog kick using the splits.

I used to have a pair of atomic splits, and these were among best fins I have used for the frog kick -- they were too dang long though. I now use the most superior fins in the universe (just kidding, but maybe not) jet fins. How about the backwards kick with splits? Should be possible as its the frog in reverse...

I've heard that too, and have no problems frog kicking with my Tusa splits.

I've also heard that you can't turn in a split fin. Again no probs.

I've also heard that you can't sprint in a split fin. See above.

I've also heard that they aren't good in a current. Never had any more probs in a current with buddies with splits.

It just seems to me that especially in this hobby, if it's not like my setup, it must suck. :(

I like my splits.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
Have fun kicking backwards.

Well, once again...no problem.

well...not trying to start anything...but....i have a pair of tusa zooms and i dont think they are good at all in currents.

as far as kicks and just about any other area i have no complaints....but...FOR ME...in currents they suck. I got a pair of mares avantis ...and in currents...no problems...

i understand the dynamics of the splits...how the kick is modified for efficiency...how you MUST stay within your slipstream...did all that...didnt work for me.

so if anyone asked if they should buy a pair of splits...i always say not if you cant try them out first...or...have the money to spend and not miss it if they dont work out for you.

I had a pair of ScubaPro TwinJets a long time ago. You can do a frog kick, but it is not particularly effective. Split fins don't work too well in a current either. Split fins seem to work best with a flutter kick...I don't do a flutter kick. A reverse frog kick would be difficult using split fins.

There are two kinds of split fins.
The original 'floppy' ones and the stiffer ones.

The stiffer ones work OK with the frog, backwards, helicopter turns, although not as well as the jet fins. As for power in current, my Atomic splits do quite well, and I think probably
better than Jets for sustained motion. (I need a Jet with a
larger foot pocket to test this fairly. My XL Jets are a little
cramped and I can't put my foot in far enough. It's OK for
other kicks, but doesn't work well with the flutter.
Waiting for the XXL Jets to come out..)

I think most of the 'can't do this, can't do that' apply to the
more flexible ones, although I would guess they take less
effort to do flutter kicks with than the stiffer split fins.

The stiffer split fins seem to be trading off some of that
'split fin efficiency' to maintain some good attributes of paddle
fins.

I find frog kicking with almost any fin can be done. Like anything else its a matter of knowing your equiptment. I've frog kicked with my splits as well as my jets. I will admit I have to pay attention cause the splits are longer and more apt to get i the way in tight areas. I even frog kickeed with my grand daughter cheap walmart fins to see if I could. no problem.
You just need to refine your technic to the equipment.
Just my 2 PSI worth.
Fred

Well, I'm willing to learn. One of you guys who say they can do a good job of frog kicking and backing/turning in splits will have to show me sometime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom