Split fins/Frog Kick...No problems..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, based on any ad i've ever seen for split fins, they are designed to take a typical flutter kicking technique and take more of the thrust straight back instead of up and down. Based on that alone, a proper frog kick with simple paddle fins does exactly that. If you take the split fin and put it into a frog kick then wouldn't you be taking thrust and having it go straight off to the side? If thats the case, unless you're doing the frog kick completely wrong, then there is no way that it could possibly be as efficient as with paddle fins. I dont see that theres much argument there - they were designed for flutter kicking as implied by the ads.

steve

Now I still consider myself a newby but I don't think the splits are as bad as most make them out to be.

I have USD blades and USD V-teck splits. The splits don't work as well as the blades for power or currents but I dive my splits cuz I like'em better and for the most part work better than the blades and take less effort. Yea, I think I could get more power and could go faster but I would have to work harder in my blade to make the differance appearant. I have had a guy with Jets makeing a SAC run and I had to put some effort to keep up but it aint a race when your under water.

I'm learning to swim backwards and can't get going on every attempt but thats because I'm new at it, not because the splits won't. I can and have backed up in my splits. Once I'm going backwards I can keep it up for as long as I want to go backwards. I have never been able to get going backwards in my blades. I can do helo turns or frog kicks just as easy in my splits as my blades.

You all can say this is BS but your welcome to come dive with me anytime. I plan on diving with some of the tx swampers this weekend. I'll make it a point to spend some time on a platform on one of our dives and demo this to some of the regulars such as Dee, Beast and whoever else shows up. Then ya'll can ask them if Im full of BS or not or if I have any problems keeping up.

I tend to use a bit of a modified dolphin kick (just the ankles knees bent) and rarely do I need to catch up. You guys who talk about how much power you get from Jets crack me up. Unless your push'en a heavy loaded rig or working in currents what differance does it make. I would rather keep up and be less tired than race around but breathing hard. Then again I just like hangin out under water and I'm not in a hurry to go any place fast. If it's such a big deal then possible you ought to look into a scooter then the fins wont matter anyways

Just my 2 cents, I know I'll hear how I just don't know how bad I kick or that I've made less than a 100 dives and all so my two cents doesn't add up to much so I would sug to PM or ask in the open how people I dive with think of my skills.

Pug If I'm ever in the PNW I'll let you use my splits if you take me out on the boat

Regards,

Geek

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I use a size ten boot... and with my Andy's I could use my XL Jets... but with the DUI rock boots I had to go Turtles.

Howsever... if you have some bigguns I'll give 'em a go.

Next time I see you I'll toss a pair of Tusa X-pert Zoom size XL...ultra stiff black in with my gear...you can put them on your hands to back-up...

I am thinking of taking the boogie711 challenge and attempt to video a backwards kick with splits. Since I sold my atomics I am going to borrow some . I think I have already recruited a videographer. Should be fun. I won't be ebaying my jet fins any time soon though.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
Pug If I'm ever in the PNW I'll let you use my splits if you take me out on the boat
You too Brian.

I have had two different brands of splits... Bios and SP Twin Jets (floppy grey.)

Both seemed like dish rags on my feet. Using them had an advantage however... it was the only time I didn't have to stop and wait for folks to catch up.

Now I never did try them with any alternate fins kicks but I sure will when I get my hands on some.

I will say this... they are the finest rototillers out there.

Actually I enjoy putzing along slow like and the control of blade type fins (I use Turtles) can't be beat. And yes... if you want to go fast this is the ticket!

cnidae once bubbled...
to see someone do an effective backward kick in a set of doubles. I also don't allow split fins in my classes and I don't allow Air2's.

Why do you think you can't do an effective backward kick in doubles?

Yea, I think I could get more power and could go faster but I would have to work harder in my blade to make the differance appearant. I have had a guy with Jets makeing a SAC run and I had to put some effort to keep up but it aint a race when your under water.

Just out of curiousity, was I the one doing the SAC check that you mentioned?

You all can say this is BS but your welcome to come dive with me anytime. I plan on diving with some of the tx swampers this weekend. I'll make it a point to spend some time on a platform on one of our dives and demo this to some of the regulars such as Dee, Beast and whoever else shows up. Then ya'll can ask them if Im full of BS or not or if I have any problems keeping up.

I may take you up on that, but I doubt it will be this weekend due to prior obligations. When are ya'll going out there? Sat or Sun?

I'd genuinely be interested in seeing how well splits work for various kicks. I've never used splits myself, but I know the Volos I had before moving to the jets were absolutely worthless for back kicks. They did however do a pretty damn decent job of frog kicking.

Now I never did try them with any alternate fins kicks but I sure will when I get my hands on some.

We're frantically mixing gas and packing for a long weekend trip so my wife won't get a chance to dig them out til mext week. I'll send you one or two pair that she thinks might fit.

We're frantically mixing gas and packing for a long weekend trip so my wife won't get a chance to dig them out til mext week. I'll send you one or two pair that she thinks might fit.

You can go play with them and let us know what you find out.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Got a bit of a stutter there today Mike? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom