split fins and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rushrhees

Registered
Reaction score
I am relativly new to scuba and do not know much about DIR nor do I have anything against the method, but I am just curious about why DIR divers should not use or can't use split fins or dive computers.

rushrhees:
I am relativly new to scuba and do not know much about DIR nor do I have anything against the method, but I am just curious about why DIR divers should not use or can't use split fins or dive computers.

1: you cannot do a backward kick with splitfins
2: in the DIR filosophy you plan your dive in other ways than a dive computer would tell you to. So you will not use a computer that gives you other information than you need.

So far the theory. In real world, I would not be at all surprised to see a DIR diver use a computer on "simple" recreational dives...

If I'm not mistaken, the split fins are less maneuverable (harder to back-up or make small corrections) and their minor speed improvement isn't worth the loss of maneuverability.

As for the computers... I think the DIR feeling is that you should know enough about decompression (your life might depend on this knowledge) that you can safely dive/decompress without a computer. Now, If you don't need one, why waste the money on it ?

Of course there's a possibility that I've misunderstood things, so any DIR-F graduates, please correct me if I'm wrong.

rushrhees:

You need to do a bit more reading in the subject - but I get the sense from your post that you're not some hairy, wart-encrusted troll... so I'll dignify what appears to be an honest question with a civil response.

COMPUTERS - I have one. They don't take away your DIR decoder ring for diving with one. Its in gauge mode 99% of the time. At no time does my computer manage my dive. We are taught not to wholly depend on one - specifically, plan each dive before we hit the water, remain aware of our loading, gas supply and average depth throughout the dive, and manage situations accordingly. The altrernative being hop in, swim around a bit until the magic box goes BEEP, then come back. Not good.

SPLIT FINS - There is a precision we strive for with blade fins that is often (<- disclaimer for those of you who can be precise with splits... I never could) not achieved with split fins.

Don't hop right to the apparent "restrictions" and get hung up on the stuff you thing DIR divers do not (or "can not") use, equipment wise. I have found my diving to be much more enjoyable and liberating since I drank the koolaid - not more restrictive and oppressive.

Dive with us. Talk with us. Read the Fundies book. Don't formulate your opinions of DIR and DIR divers from this or any other internet forum exclusively.

K

Reinoud:
2: in the DIR filosophy you plan your dive in other ways than a dive computer would tell you to. So you will not use a computer that gives you other information than you need.

So far the theory. In real world, I would not be at all surprised to see a DIR diver use a computer on "simple" recreational dives...
I would be surprised. The DIR divers I know do not use one in the real world, either recreational or technical dives.

Reinoud:
2:....a computer that gives you other information than you need.

1. Yes, I can. But then I can eat soup with a fork too... I just think it is better to use a spoon but of course the best method of all is to slurp it directly from the bowl.

2. Dive computers can make precise calculations and give incorrect information very accurately.

Real world: If a diver doesn't need a computer on a *complex* decompression dive then why in the world would he/she need one on a *simple* recreational dive?

I'm assuming you use some type of bottom timer. What do you guys use?

Uncle Pug:
1. Yes, I can. But then I can eat soup with a fork too... I just think it is better to use a spoon but of course the best method of all is to slurp it directly from the bowl.

2. Dive computers can make precise calculations and give incorrect information very accurately.

Real world: If a diver doesn't need a computer on a *complex* decompression dive then why in the world would he/she need one on a *simple* recreational dive?

Mo2vation:
You need to do a bit more reading in the subject - but I get the sense from your post that you're not some hairy, wart-encrusted troll... so I'll dignify what appears to be an honest question with a civil response.

COMPUTERS - I have one. They don't take away your DIR decoder ring for diving with one. Its in gauge mode 99% of the time. At no time does my computer manage my dive. We are taught not to wholly depend on one - specifically, plan each dive before we hit the water, remain aware of our loading, gas supply and average depth throughout the dive, and manage situations accordingly. The altrernative being hop in, swim around a bit until the magic box goes BEEP, then come back. Not good.

SPLIT FINS - There is a precision we strive for with blade fins that is often (<- disclaimer for those of you who can be precise with splits... I never could) not achieved with split fins.

Don't hop right to the apparent "restrictions" and get hung up on the stuff you thing DIR divers do not (or "can not") use, equipment wise. I have found my diving to be much more enjoyable and liberating since I drank the koolaid - not more restrictive and oppressive.

Dive with us. Talk with us. Read the Fundies book. Don't formulate your opinions of DIR and DIR divers from this or any other internet forum exclusively.

K

"DRANK THE KOOLAIDE" LMAO!!!!!!! Hillarious.

Uncle Pug had a great one too: "Eat soup with a fork" nice!

UWSojourner:
I'm assuming you use some type of bottom timer. What do you guys use?

I used a Suunto Vyper, and now an Oceanic Versa Pro- both in gauge mode. Both have the ability to record my dive profiles, but the Versal Pro's readout is larger and more legible for old eyes!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom