split fins and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moonie,
It refers to people who follow a leader blindly and will do whatever told. The reference comes from the Jonestown, Guiana incident when the "Reverend" Jim Jones had all of his followers drink cyanide laced Kool-Aid.

ShakaZulu:
I though DIR guys DO use computers, just not the "water proove" ones...........

there are DIR girls too :wink:
and this one doesn't use a computer in the "real world" either(except the land-based laptop variety).
Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned, regarding fins, that one of the reasons split-fins are not used is that the mainstay kick in DIR diving is the frog or modified frog, and split fins don't accomplish this very well (again, it's the soup-eating spoon/fork analogy). Also, it's very hard with split fins not to stir up the bottom (I've seen this time and again). As DIR is meant to give divers a skill set that would allow them to eventually move into more advanced diving milieus, such as overhead environments, this is an important consideration.

A computer used in any fashion would be digital. Analog would be one with a pointer on it to indicate depth (used in conjunction with a watch). No electronics involved to crap out, no battery to die, no backlight to quit, no digital read outs to screw up, no flood worries. Again, serious question.
Thanks,
jason

moonie:
I'm just curious, who came up with that phrase.. "drank the koolaid??" - I've heard it so much .. mostly from discussions of tech. divers..

The anti-DIR folks like to equate DIR w/ religious fanatics. With that in mind, if you remember the Jim Jones religious cult, he killed all of his followers with cyanide laced kool-aid.

So, if you follow the DIR priinciples, then you are supposedly "drinking the kool-aid".

Personally, I like iced tea..... :eyebrow:

A computer used in any fashion would be digital. Analog would be one with a pointer on it to indicate depth (used in conjunction with a watch). No electronics involved to crap out, no battery to die, no backlight to quit, no digital read outs to screw up, no flood worries. Again, serious question.
Thanks,
jason
anyone have any thoughts on this one. As an electronics tech I understand that moving parts in an analog device (be it a relay or a gauge) is subject to the laws of friction which in turn means wear and tear...that said, I can go into the computer/gauges and watches forum and find a butt load of posts from people whose computers have reset or malfunctioned, but there doesn't seem to be any posts on analog depth gauges crapping out. DIR divers use analog SPG's so I doubt that the friction part is the issue. Again, any thoughts as I know that removing unnecessary failure points is part of the DIR philosophy.
On a side note...am I the only diver that does not own a dive computer?

I actually do carry two computers on every dive no matter what.

One of them is between my ears and the other is between my buddies and Shaka Zulu (what does that even mean? - Is it Swahili for surf for pr0n too much?) I find it nice and waterproof yes. :D

I also carry a Suunto Stinger because of the download capability. I had a Vytec for the longest timebefore I practiced and was convinced of the GUE methods for planning and implementing a dive. Once I knew it worked I decided to downgrade my glorified bottom timer a bit.

One of them is between my ears
LOL, i better restate my side note then because I do in fact have one of those computers.:wink:
It doesn't have a depth transducer or a very accurate timer though so without an additional actual measuring device (depth and time) I don't know that the "between the ears" computer is going to do much good on a dive, unless GUE teaches a method that requires no depth or time calculation.

Haven't seen anyone answer the question yet...

If analogue SPG's are the dogs bollocks, why don't DIR divers also use analogue depth gauges?

TX101:
Haven't seen anyone answer the question yet...

If analogue SPG's are the dogs bollocks, why don't DIR divers also use analogue depth gauges?

I can't speak for the official DIR reason, 'cuz I'm not sure of what it is, but...

Analog depth gauges are not particularly accurate
They don't log your dives
They don't keep time, so you'd need a watch anyhow, thus 2 gauges
You can easily put two bottom timers on your wrist, thus providing redundancy, and more information without adding bulkiness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom