split fins and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner:
I'm assuming you use some type of bottom timer. What do you guys use?

Suunto Vytec. Easy to use, easy to read. Countdown timer, gauge mode, variable EAN is easy to change (for blenders that miss) and its easy to use with cold water gloves. Easy to see on night dives, as well. Downloads qucikly, records all the stuff I need it to.

I love it. eBay is your friend.

K

I guess I'm confused. I use the Vyper. But the thread was about not using a computer, so I thought I'd see some simple bottom timers. Vytec? That's "fancier" than my computer. Are you just using the bottom timer feature and the hoseless gas gauge? If so, why not just a simple bottom timer?

Mo2vation:
Suunto Vytec. Easy to use, easy to read. Countdown timer, gauge mode, variable EAN is easy to change (for blenders that miss) and its easy to use with cold water gloves. Easy to see on night dives, as well. Downloads qucikly, records all the stuff I need it to.

I love it. eBay is your friend.

K

I use the Suunto Stinger in gauge mode for the down load capability. I also like that it has a stop watch feature.

I also have an Uwatec bt/depthgauge and it works just fine.

There's a big difference between using a computer to tell you how to dive, and using a computer to log your dives.

For me, the readouts on the bottom timers are too small, and the BT's do not have recording capabilities for my dives.

Some of my dive buddies DO use very simple bottom timers. Their eyes are better than mine, and they really don't care about logging their dives.

UWSojourner:
I guess I'm confused. I use the Vyper. But the thread was about not using a computer, so I thought I'd see some simple bottom timers. Vytec? That's "fancier" than my computer. Are you just using the bottom timer feature and the hoseless gas gauge? If so, why not just a simple bottom timer?

UWSojourner:

Sure it's fancy. OK. I use the Vytec for a bunch of reasons.

* Got it for dirt cheap on eBay (it was horribly mis-listed)

* My wife still dives using the compter functions (loading, remaining gas, etc.) and uses a Vytec, So as chief tech support for my family, I only have one platform to support wif our little dive team... always a plus!

* Dig the download feratures. Like the SAC, the gear profile, the dive logging and notes features.

* I often use the hoseless feature (remember - weenie boy here - open water, no cave, cavern or penetration diving yet.) It's a lot more convienent to simply glance at the wrist than reach back and unclip the SPG to get pressure every 5 minutes or so (although I confirm with the SPG about every second or third glance.)

* Its gauge mode rocks. I love the countdown timer.

* When I'm on a multi-day trip doing 4 - 5 dives a day for 3 or 4 days with all manner of mixes the blender can get close to (30 - 33....) I'll flip it into Computer mode to give my dome a rest. Does it run the dive while in Computer mode? Of course not. I still carefully plan every dive and simply use it to track my loading. On one or two day trips where I have a reasonably consistent blend, its easy for me to calculate the loading... on these multi days with the blend duDive, I just roll that tracking function to the machine.

A Yugo will get me to the office and the store about as fast and even more efficiently than my Tundra. I prefer the air conditioning, crankin hi-fi, comfort and electric windows and locks of my truck. No biggie.

I like the Vytec. Do I leverage all of its whammy gee-whiz features? Not really. But I got it, it works for me and I don't shut off my brain when I dive with it.

Example: While in Computer mode, it's told me I got 6 minutes of gas left... and I'll check the pressure and I have a zillion PSI. Moments later, it catches up. If I wasn't superbly aware of how long my gas lasts at various depths and pressures, it would FREAK ME OUT to see that on the screen.

At the end of the day, its just a tool. Like any other. You gotta be smarter than the tool to use it correctly.

K

Why not an analog gauge for depth? Less to go wrong, seems that would be more DIR. Serious question, spare the troll comments.

I though DIR guys DO use computers, just not the "water proove" ones...........

bubble blower:
Why not an analog gauge for depth? Less to go wrong, seems that would be more DIR. Serious question, spare the troll comments.

Do you mean analog vs digital? Analog depth gauge only vs depth/time?

Gauge only vs gauge mode on computer?

Not sure what you're asking here.

Mo2vation:
I have found my diving to be much more enjoyable and liberating since I drank the koolaid - not more restrictive and oppressive.

I'm just curious, who came up with that phrase.. "drank the koolaid??" - I've heard it so much .. mostly from discussions of tech. divers..

think he means the mechanical gauges as opposed to electronic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom