Split Fin vs. Full fin

What type of fin do you prefer? Split fin or full fin?

• Split fin

Votes: 63 48.8%
  • Full fin

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question would be this. How can you really do a "scientific" study on fin use. At best you have a bunch of people who put on some fins, swim around in perhaps various conditions, and then give their opinions on which ones they like the best. And we all know what they (there is that group of people again) say about opinions. I might also add that just because it was the Navy that did a "study", it doesn't make their conclusions any more significant or hold any more weight than when a group of divers do it through Scubalab. It's the same thing, people swimming around giving their opinions.
BDSC

Thrust for unit effort could be measured; One could build a robot to do the kicking and measure the thrust produced by each different fin given the same kick parameters. Then of course you'd have to use those measurements to prove or disprove your hypothesis, write up a report and submit it to your 12th grade science teacher for grading.

Being generally "better" is subjective, the only way to do it would be to have a large enough test population to make the opinion based results statistically significant.

From a marketing point of view, you could just take a look at the sales figures for each type to determine which is considered 'better' by consumers. I wonder what those numbers are actually....

As of this moment the split fins have a 9 percentage point lead, but all precincts have not reported. The race is still too close to call.

BDSC

My question would be this. How can you really do a "scientific" study on fin use. At best you have a bunch of people who put on some fins, swim around in perhaps various conditions, and then give their opinions on which ones they like the best. And we all know what they (there is that group of people again) say about opinions. I might also add that just because it was the Navy that did a "study", it doesn't make their conclusions any more significant or hold any more weight than when a group of divers do it through Scubalab. It's the same thing, people swimming around giving their opinions.

BDSC

The Navy doing it has nothing to do with it scientific validity of the testing, but no they did not ask the opinions of the divers, they measured the O2 consumptions of the divers in the various highly controlled and repeatable conditions in a flume tank. You can easily find the 2003 study in the Rubicon Library- just run a seach for "swim fin underwater" and the study from Uof Buffalo authored by Dr. Pendergast. And read it for yourself. I only wish that I had the 1993 study to show you.

As of this moment the split fins have a 9 percentage point lead, but all precincts have not reported. The race is still too close to call.

BDSC

Maybe it would be prudent to separate the votes geographically then we could identify which states have a higher percentage of Full Fins or Split Fins. We could use a color coded map of the U.S. using the colors in the poll. For example, a state with a higher percentage of Full Fin users would be a Blue state and a state with a higher percentage of Split Fins would be a Red state. This would be a terrific way to easily identify the awesome states(BLUE) from the horrible states(RED). What do you think? :eek:uttahere

I use a left split on my right foot and a paddle on my left, I painted the split yellow cause my dive budy says it hurts worse than the paddle when I kick him and he wanted to be able to see it coming:D

seriously; I like splits better just because.

Wait till I hand in my stack Absentee Ballots. We'll see who wins then.

Science is not by conciseness, it is by provable repeatable evidence! Votes only show how easy it is to fool the uneducated masses! :mooner:

I had a paddle fin on my left foot and a split on my right. I was going in circles in no time. So I KNOW which is better. but I'm not about to share the results of my scientific study. Not after being laughed at by the others on the boat.

Maybe it would be prudent to separate the votes geographically then we could identify which states have a higher percentage of Full Fins or Split Fins. We could use a color coded map of the U.S. using the colors in the poll. For example, a state with a higher percentage of Full Fin users would be a Blue state and a state with a higher percentage of Split Fins would be a Red state. This would be a terrific way to easily identify the awesome states(BLUE) from the horrible states(RED). What do you think? :eek:uttahere

Switch the colors and I would say yes!:11::D

I think you should be in politics! Is this really George Bush's screen name?

BDSC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom