Split Fin vs. Full fin

What type of fin do you prefer? Split fin or full fin?

• Split fin

Votes: 63 48.8%
  • Full fin

Votes: 66 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

This has actually been a good read. Usually these types of comparison threads end up with much bickering, bantering, and biased based opinions and not so much hard content. BDSC has some very good points about why split fins are the best LOL. Which prompted me to toss in a few of my own OPINIONS and facts for you all to chew on.

I find the fin category very subjective. Every diver is different, kicks differently, dives differently so it is almost impossible to say one is better than the other. I'll be honest, I used to scuba dive in my freediving long blade fins. I thought they were the best for me, certainly not for everyone though. Moved me through the water faster, more effeciently than anyone else, and the type of diving we were doing warranted this. Would it be good for wrecks, caves, taking u/w images, or the easy meandering drift dive in Cozumel, not so much... Now, there are major differences in ease of swimming from the newer technololgy to the fins of old. So if this is a concern or benefit to you then I say spend the money and go with a "good" split or a "good" paddle such as the Volo Power. There are good, and not so good fins from a performance perspective. I have my opinion but will leave it out for obvious reasons. I don't want to be perceived as biased. :)

From a marketing point of view, you could just take a look at the sales figures for each type to determine which is considered 'better' by consumers. I wonder what those numbers are actually....

Now keep in mind the majority of paddle fins sold are in the less expensive category, primarily because there aren't too many technology options at the low price point. Consumers on a budget (students / kids, family of 10, etc...) don't really have a choice, and will most likely end up in a paddle fin.

Over the last 5yrs the market shows sales are 50% split - 50% paddle (this is apprx as it goes up or down 2-3 points each year, but relatively static.)
14 to 14

Wow who's gonna break the tie?
See?

Maybe it would be prudent to separate the votes geographically then we could identify which states have a higher percentage of Full Fins or Split Fins. We could use a color coded map of the U.S. using the colors in the poll.
You would have a very colorful map. It is curious to see how some markets support one technology over the other. In the PNW I see a dominant support for split fin technology. There is no rhyme or reason that I can ascertain. I think once a market for a technology or brand has been established, it almost perpetuates itself. By and large consumers tend to be followers, and if he has it, it must be good, then so must I. In CA, the market begins to reflect more of the 50/50 rule. It boils down to what the store (lds) believes and promotes to be the better technology.
Atomic splits when I need to wear boots...like in a quarry or Bonaire. Why because that is what the dive shop sold me when I first walked in.
Case in point.

My question would be this. How can you really do a "scientific" study on fin use. At best you have a bunch of people who put on some fins, swim around in perhaps various conditions, and then give their opinions on which ones they like the best. And we all know what they (there is that group of people again) say about opinions. I might also add that just because it was the Navy that did a "study", it doesn't make their conclusions any more significant or hold any more weight than when a group of divers do it through Scubalab. It's the same thing, people swimming around giving their opinions.
BDSC, you bring up a good point. I personally have sort of struggled with the various fin tests from magazines, and independant study groups. Again fins are hard to test and can be very subjective; primarily because we all swim differently. We are all going to have a personal preference as to what feels better. This is the subjective part. Some kick hard, slow,fast, scissor, bicycle, it is endless really. How can a test in an uncontrolled enviornment with different testers over an extended period of time, come to a reasonable and conclusive argument? Pretty challenging eh? Although, not to throw them completetely under the bus, they do a pretty good job with what they have, it's just not perfect IMO. On the other hand, Mares looks at it from both sides, scientific and feel. Mares, to my knowledge has the only robotic swimming leg submerged in water with apprx 25' of tank to propel a fin through. This leg is wired to computers and can statistically measure performance. It is in a controlled enviornment, with a static machine (of course it can be altered to show different kick strokes), and the data cannot be argued with. See this 3 min video on the development of the original Volo fin. YouTube - Volo Fin Evolution.

Well perhaps a little side tracked but, at the end of the day, there are reasons for purchasing either split or paddle, Mares, Atomic, Tusa,.... Do you have specific needs, ease of finning, task oriented, travel in mind, performance racing etc.. These are all good considerations, and there isn't one answer for all. Thank goodness for you, we have some competition in fin manufacturing, otherwise everyone would be in a hinge fin! LOL.....

Best regards everyone and safe diving!

Last edited:
OK all. BDSC is back from a week on Cayman Brac. So which fin did I take with me? They were my new Mares fullfoot Avanti Superchannels. I left my cherished Scubapro Twin Jets at home. How did they do? To tell you folks the truth, I liked them better than my Twin Jets. Not a lot better but I do give them the nod. I felt I had just as much power and they were lighter and easier to put on and take off on the boat. I really didin't know what to expect but the great reviews from ScubaLab were right on. That's why I bought them in the first place.

I would have to say from now on I'll be traveling with my Superchannels when I'm boat diving. I'd still take the Twin Jets with booties in Bonaire though.

BDSC

( It killed me to go against my scientific studies I posted on here)

Awwwe, there you go, Scuba Lab got it right. In all seriousness, the Superchannel is one of our better fins. Especially for the price. I was in Italy last September at one of our annual meetings, and is par for the course, we are all in the pool testing our new products for the coming year. I honestly was very impressed with the fin and surprised that we had such a good product at this low-mid level price point. It is super easy to fin, yet amazingly pushes you through the water with good power and speed. I'm glad you like it.

Now If I could just take off to Cayman for a week:shakehead:.

You got a great product there Zak and it outperforms much higher priced fins. Might buy another pair just to have as a back-up.

BDSC

From a marketing point of view, you could just take a look at the sales figures for each type to determine which is considered 'better' by consumers. I wonder what those numbers are actually....

Just because more consumers use a product, doesn't necessarily mean it is better. It could simply mean that product has better marketing.

I am still using ScubaPro Gorillas - best fins ever made!

I went diving Saturday and one of my older ones broke at the hinge not long after the start. As we were getting into the water, one of the guys who I hadn't before made a comment about my husband and I being "more of those square-finned Nazis."

After we got out, he was pretty impressed that I pretty easily swam all over the place with one fin!

On the second dive, an annoying person joined our group and kept coming by me on the dive. For this dive, I was back to the pair as I had previously had 3 fins. The dude who made the comment about the fins, later said he looked over and one second I was still and the next took off like a rocket with just a couple of kicks when the annoying person got near me. Of course, I let him know that it was the fins that he was making fun of that allowed me to do so. I think he would have ran right out and bought a pair if ScubaPro still made them!

I know all my friends who used to own Gorillas, still say that they were the best fins ever! Everything else is like noodles on their feet!

they only trye study that I would trust, would be one done by consumer reports

In my humble opinion,....
I find that the slip fin or ( mares Volo style) have good points and bad points .Good point is that up kick is less fatiquing on the legs. Bad point is there is a bit of forward motion lost because on the flexibility of the fins .I still dive with both stiff blade as well as split or volo style..It depends how i feel that day
Great forum!

Back
Top Bottom