Spin Off.. Is modern scuba gear more efficient today than 20 years ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GPS has changed diving the most.

I could even argue effciency--time, fuel

It's changed getting to the site, but not diving it. You're in the wrong thread. :wink:

If you don't have time to find the site with visual line ups or would not dive without your EPIRB and no one on board, it matters more than which silly fins you use.

You are just not a visionary, Dave.

Along those lines, we might want to cite improved vehicle fuel economy as an advance in diving technology. If you can't afford to drive, it's hard to dive.

But, I hear what you're saying.

Isn't Algore supposed to be a visionary?

GPS has changed diving the most.

I could even argue effciency--time, fuel

I agree GPS is a wonderful tool that we use to find dive sites easier and more quickly which saves fuel. OTOH, it's not dive gear. It hasn't changed diving, it's changed finding dive sites.

sigh

what is this the retro grouch peer review?

GPS is good if you can talk that grouchy old commercial fisherman out of his numbers of his secret site. A few strong drinks might help.

sigh

what is this the retro grouch peer review?

Maybe but the OP asked about dive equipemnt not GPS and cell phones. When it became impossible for you guys to prove that new is more efficient than old then we went to "effective" and when more effective could not be proven y'all branched out to GPS and Lycra vs rayon vs cotton, what's next, steel belted vs bias? Outboard motors or more efficient now, I agree there but alas like GPS, they are not dive equipment.

This is like some Dr. Seus book, y'all can never win becaue the OP's hypothesis is without hard, documented evidence, just antedotal hesesay. We "old grouches" will never be convinced you are right because we know better.:popcorn:

N

Well, I gotta say my double-hose Phoenix DA Aquamaster reg is as efficient and reliable as any modern reg I have used (I own 4 Apeks regs & several others). My 50s-style Voit high-volume mask seals really nicely around my face - a better seal than the several Tusa & OceanMaster masks I have. Etc.

I will make an exception for fins. I love my Mares Quattro fins and cannot get enthused about my Voit Vikings or my Duckfeet. Perhaps I just need more time on the vintage fins.

Whether or not the old gear was better (and some of it is), the old way of diving definitely was.

Back
Top Bottom