Spin Off.. Is modern scuba gear more efficient today than 20 years ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Spun off from thread long time between dives

She should brush up on the books and take a dive or two with an instructor and learn how to use a modern computer . If she was a competent diver in the past, chances are her skills will come back very quickly. Other than the computers, the gear has not changed much in functionality but it is more efficient and expensive.

We now have nitrox computers vs only air computers with tables being the only option for nitrox 20 years ago. Other than that, the average computer has not changed much. In what way is today's gear "more efficient?"

Beside the fact that most new gear is lighter weight, we also have lighter weight 1st and second stage regulators, stronger and more flexible hoses, new sleek wings and BCDs, lighter and more efficient materials in fins, better silicone in masks, higher quality stretchy neoprene, pro valves in tanks and the list goes on and on.

While not common, there are titanium regulators available which does reduce the weight of the first stage, but transferring weight from a regulator to a weight belt isn't something I consider more efficient. Second stages were already being made of plastic 20 years ago. Hoses have not changed and even if they had, they wouldn't be noticeable on a dive. Wings weren't around in the 80s (at least I'd never heard of them), but they are essentially just another BC and are still fairly rare. The best BC, IMO, is the Scubapro Classic Sport. Except for cosmetics, it's been around since the 70s. The two best and most efficient fins I've ever tried are Jets which have been around since the mid 60s and Duck Feet which have been around even longer. Masks are essentially unchanged from 20 years ago, although some models are now "frameless." The "Superstretch" neoprene is new, but while the suits are easier to don, the insulation properties are less efficient. What are "pro valves?"

Sorry, 200 Bar Pro Thermo valve. 200 Bar Pro Thermo Valve, Scuba Tanks, XS Scuba, 200 Bar Pro Thermo Valve

Fins and masks have improved significantly, both in functionality, ease of use and higher quality materials. Your opinion has validity, but its is just that, your opinion. In addition, spring straps have made fin use significantly more efficient.

New Dry Suit materials (Whites new Fusion suit is a great example) and valves, P valves and dry gloves are also new additions to the modern gear selection.

"Efficient" may be the incorrect word - it is difficult to quantify "efficiency" in terms of performance (on different levels).

"Refined" may be a better choice, though...

The Oceanic mask with the Heads-Up Display (HUD). Drysuits with new zipper designs. Regulators have had hundreds of small refinements added over the preceding twenty years. Computers likewise...such as the addition of wireless transmitters. Anyone remember the Edge?

Fins and masks remain fins and masks, and neoprene remains neoprene, however few would argue that there have been numerous refinements over the past two decades - some more successful or meaningful than others - but certainly the gear has evolved, albeit not terribly dramatically.

FWIW. YMMV.

I'll buy that.

So, when you guys "go back," you refer to air computers and tables?

Go back further, to wrist watches and tables.

Then compare that to helium computers (Dive Rite Nitek HE / VR3 / Cochran Commander etc) of today, and V-Planner deco software.

Go back even further, to thick wetsuits and horsecollar B/Cs.

Then compare that to back-inflation wings.

Cave lights have come a long way as well. And DPVs are a lot lighter now, so you can now carry them clipped to a D-ring.

Drysuits with integrated LP inflators and argon insulation gas are a big improvement as well.

As with all modern technologies, scuba technology has made things much "easier" and "more efficient."

Walter, if you are still following this thread, reducing weight on the first stage is intentionally designed not just as a stronger, lighter material, but also as a more corrosion resistant material that aids the traveling diver in meeting the increasingly strict airline weight requirements. So is it more efficient with respect to weight during a dive? Maybe not, but its definitely more efficient when it comes to boarding an airplane and also when it comes to the life of the regulator. Again "efficiency" is a word that can be used a few different ways here!

Further fin materials and designs have objectively proven their efficiency. Split fin models for example have lots of tests and data that back this up. Everyone has their own opinion here and will have their own tastes and distastes, this is just one example.

The Oceanic mask with the Heads-Up Display (HUD).
it's really cool.
Drysuits with new zipper designs.
Such as?
Regulators have had hundreds of small refinements added over the preceding twenty years.
and not significantly improved as far as I can tell.
Computers likewise...such as the addition of wireless transmitters. Anyone remember the Edge?
Big improvements in materials, batteries, models, etc., ruined by the drive to make them safer by having you dive less. Yes, I remember the Edge, and I often dive one, out of preference, despite the clunky package.
Fins and masks remain fins and masks, and neoprene remains neoprene, however few would argue that there have been numerous refinements over the past two decades - some more successful or meaningful than others - but certainly the gear has evolved, albeit not terribly dramatically.
I've yet to try a new fin that beats the Jet fin or the old Duckfeet or a mask that's any better than a Lince Cateye or a Swimmaster Wideview. I've not tried the new Hollis fin yet ... but I hear great things about it.

Define efficient. Essentially the answer is no, it is less efficient.

The darling of the DIR/tech crownd, the Jet Fin goes back to 63, we were diving Jets before most of you were born.

The ScubaPro Shotgun snorkel is the best ever, everything since then is a weird contraption by comparison.

Masks are no better now than then and we used black, not clear, what makes a mask better?

The steel LP tanks we used were and are similar to what tech divers use today.

Double hose regulators like the USD Royal Aqua Master are more durable, more reliable than anything made today and perform as well with fewer maintenance.

Don't need no stink'n BC and a good horsecollar is more streamlined than all but the sleekest Oxy 18 pound, I know because I have them all and I have pool tested and timed swims backing me up.

Don't need no stink'n computer if you know the tables, tech/DIR divers today, the cutting edge, do not use computers, they use tables, so did we.

Plates, we used plates in the 60s, now Oxy Cheq has a Mini Plate of cordura, I ordred one, fits and feels a lot like a traditional harness or Voit SnugPack.

Weight belts, most tech/DIR, again considered leading edge, use a weightbelt EXACTLY like those we used in the 60s.

I can swim a vintage rig through the water as fast or faster than todays fluffy, padded poodle jackets, no, todays equipment in many respects is a step backward, it is market driven, not function driven.

BTW, UDT Duckfeet will open a can of whoop arse on Jets if you can kick them and they go back to the 50s.

This thread is an example of "antedotal."

N

N. If using the old stuff make you happy, groovy. There is no denying that some of the new modern gear is just gimmicky and marketed directly to new divers and gear junkies. But then again, some new stuff is indeed, really good.

N. If using the old stuff make you happy, groovy. There is no denying that some of the new modern gear is just gimmicky and marketed directly to new divers and gear junkies. But then again, some new stuff is indeed, really good.
I'm always looking for something better, can you give me some examples of new stuff that is, "indeed, really good?"

I have in my possession the newest and most modern gear available to mankind short of a rebreather. I also have superior vintage gear. LOL:lotsalove:

The assumption is that newer is gooder, well, it ain't gooder just because it is newer.

Define efficient.
N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom