Spin Off.. Is modern scuba gear more efficient today than 20 years ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife says I am living in the 60's. I hate shorts that reach to the knees with a pocket so low you need 6 inch longer arms. They should be called half and halfs, half shorts, half pants. I have to look far and wide to find mid thigh length shorts. Luckly Cabela's has a couple styles that are mid thigh.

Land's End has them.

I was in the shop and realized there is one item that represents a real improvement-- true isolation manifolds. N

I was in the shop and realized there is one item that represents a real improvement-- true isolation manifolds. N
Clearly better than a Benjamin Rig, but there is still ongoing debate as to if isolation manifolds are any better than independents.

Why are they an improvement? It merely adds an additional failure point to protect you from something that is almost unheard of.

Why are they an improvement? It merely adds an additional failure point to protect you from something that is almost unheard of.

That is equally unheard off. N

Improvements I have seen -

Bright LED light that lasts several dives vs incandescant flashlight that barely lasts a single dive and barely lights anything.

Rechargeable batteries - that do.

Fusion drysuit vs heavy neoprene michelin man look and feel or for me two layers of 3/8 wetsuit. 3/8 Farmer John and 3/8 shortie was a major struggle to get in and out of.

Computer depth guage vs capillary guage. Doubt I could even read a capillary guage now. Hard to carry reading glasses to 100 feet!

Wing with rear dump vs horsecoller BC with "emergency" CO2 cartridge.

Computer that will allow me MUCH more bottom time than tables and do the calculation on the fly if I change my profile mid dive.

Nitrox at virtually every dive shop.

Nitrox computers

DSLR camera and housing. 400 pictures on a single dive if I want - as opposed to 36 on a roll - and I get to see them immediately.

All of these are, for me, significant improvements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom