Spin Off.. Is modern scuba gear more efficient today than 20 years ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Say, where did I put those plaid pants?) .

Plaid pants are back in style. I went to get some jeans. I reached for a pair and tried them on and they fell off my hips. I showed the "girl" and she told me they are supposed to fit like that low down and the belt would hold them :mooner:, I said, uh, ok. So, I went and I saw some that said classic low. I grabbed them figuring they would fit like regular jeans because they were classic and were low priced--NOPE---they fit but the waist was barely over my hip bones and they cost 120 dollars:shakehead:. So, I showed the girl and she said that was how they were supposed to fit, I asked her if she just had any regular jeans, her eyes rolled :confused: . I have always taken rolling eyes from female sorts to mean something bad. :no probably similar to the rolling eyes Catherine is giving us especially when Walter goes Obama and calls her "sweetie" or "darling" :rofl3: . So, do I go with the hood gangsta droopy pants or do I go with the sleek bell bottom hipsters, dahl'n. (speaking to the "girl") N

I don't use "sweetie." "Darlin'" and "Sweetheart" are terms of endearment from my southern upbringing having nothing to do a yankee senator whose name I first heard less than two years ago. Besides, I don't believe Catherine rolls her eyes when I call her "Darlin'."

catherine96821:
The dive starts before you splash.

Our definations differ (I log time from the beginning of the descent to the end of the ascent), but we do agree there are many things that happen prior to splashing that are important to the dive.

catherine96821:
Generally, I don't think gear has advanced (except for GPS)

We are in total agreement on this.

I don't use "sweetie." "Darlin'" and "Sweetheart" are terms of endearment from my southern upbringing having nothing to do a yankee senator whose name I first heard less than two years ago. Besides, I don't believe Catherine rolls her eyes when I call her "Darlin'."

I was just trying to distract y'all from a wrassl'n match. The movie, The Beverly Hillbillies, some years back, Ellie Mae whooped up on the entire wrestling team, I was just gett'n worried for ya being as I is from de souf also :lotsalove: and felt the need to watch a fellow countryman's back :D.

Well, y'all carry on. :blinking: N

STOP IT! You guys are killing me. My sides are jurting. Bluejeans, I HATE buying bluejeans these days.

I have to agree with all these old pharts, the gear hasn't really changed in twenty years, just the bells and whistles. But buying gear is now like buying those bluejeans. You try and find that simple beauty that has worked for years, nope, very hard to find. Unless you want something covered with rings, pockets, valves, and so on.

I followed that thread about Sea Hunt, bought the set of flipper DVDs, bounced back forty something years. I was looking at the backpacks and the regulators. You know something, the backpacks are just like the plates people are screaming about today, and that regulator works exactly the same way they do today. Do a cross section and you wouldn't noticed a difference.

Nemrod, You prolly get your fashion from Sea Hunters?

So...do you have board shorts, or those cool retro spandex "spankys?"

Please, don't be seen on that ladder in those. (I think you should check Old Navy for a nice compromise, jeans)

Spanky's are the new in. Out is In..you are stylin and don't even know it.

There seems to be a theme here. The older, seasoned, more experienced divers don’t think the gear is any better today than it was 20 years ago. I also loved my '58 Corvette and my '87 Crewcab, but I don’t drive them anymore. I too was first certified in 1968, I used the old stuff, it worked fine but so what? (Say, where did I put those plaid pants?)

Frankly I could care less what gear people use, have used, like or dislike. My current gear setup works very well for me and it is better, in my opinion, than the old stuff.

I have a great deal of respect for those of you who continued to dive for decades and who post and share their experiences with others. Kudos to you. However, opinion’s (yours or mine) do not always translate into inerrancy.
If a diver has not dove "old" gear enough to have mastered it, he or she should not even be voicing an opinion. Similarly, if someone has not dove "new" gear enough to have mastered it, he or she should not even be voicing an opinion. It seem pretty unanimous amongst those of us who meet both criteria that "new" gear is at best no improvement and at worst dreadful. With some exceptions of course, which seem to be the Fusion Suit and the the EOS regulator and perhaps some computers.

If a diver has not dove "old" gear enough to have mastered it, he or she should not even be voicing an opinion. Similarly, if someone has not dove "new" gear enough to have mastered it, he or she should not even be voicing an opinion. It seem pretty unanimous amongst those of us who meet both criteria that "new" gear is at best no improvement and at worst dreadful. With some exceptions of course, which seem to be the Fusion Suit and the the EOS regulator and perhaps some computers.

And lights.... Love my 21w HID.

My wife says I am living in the 60's. I hate shorts that reach to the knees with a pocket so low you need 6 inch longer arms. They should be called half and halfs, half shorts, half pants. I have to look far and wide to find mid thigh length shorts. Luckly Cabela's has a couple styles that are mid thigh.

My wife says I am living in the 60's. I hate shorts that reach to the knees with a pocket so low you need 6 inch longer arms. They should be called half and halfs, half shorts, half pants. I have to look far and wide to find mid thigh length shorts. Luckly Cabela's has a couple styles that are mid thigh.

I have the same problem. I got out of knickers many years ago and do not want to go back. I was looking for shorts the other day and found nothing that fit. I am going to look at Cabela's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom