Spiegel Grove??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correction: Padi's Adventure and Advanced certs are not the same....
http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/continue/aow.asp
PADI Advanced Open Water Diver

The Adventures in Diving program offers both the Adventure Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver certifications. If you complete any three adventure dives, you can earn your PADI Adventure Diver certification. If you complete your Deep Adventure Dive, Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive and three Adventure Dives for a total of five, you can earn your Advanced Open Water Diver certification.

Why Advanced Open Water Diver?
After your five dives, you'll be more experienced, feel more comfortable in the water and simply enjoy diving more because you better understand the underwater environment.
For more information, call 1800-PAY-PADI :wink:

the doctor died on 4/30/05. the other two mentioned were on the northern lights which is 180ft +. I know of no other fatalities on the grove since her sinking, but I could be wrong. let's not exaggerate the facts.

casemanager:
Thanks Guys You Have Shed Some Light On What Actually Happen, I Don't Know If I Was Narced Because People Say You Feel Good, I Felt Extreme Vertigo And Panic, I Am Truly Blessed Individual

Ive Never Had A Problem Until I Started Diving With This Crew, I Was In Hawaii Last Month And Had An Incredible Relaxed Instructor And Dm.

I Thought All Dm's Are The Same But Thst Is Not True. Why Wasnt My Instructor Watching His Students Instead Of Checking Out The Wreck? Maybe The Ambulance Ride And The 4 Hours Waiting In The Hospital Will Change His Patterns Of Being More Responsible For Your Group And Keeping Everyone Close.

case manager i bought this very subject up myself, panicking in a cave 1000' into a dive, over 2 year's ago. Here is the link to my experience , back then on The Deco Stop :
http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5702

Back then i blamed my Instructor for everything, causing my panic. only to Blame myself at the end. I pushed my limit's then, and learned from it, now 2 year's late knowing my limit's and not pushing them to the point I'm over my head.
Panic can be caused buy lot's of thing's , stress before even going into the dive, the way you breath, something happening , the feeling your alone down there, may have set it off, but one thing i can say, is you'll learn to depend on yourself , and learn to talk your mind outta saying your going to die, etc,
Every time i get the little dragon that sits on my shoulder , and starts the nervousness, all i say to myself is the only thing here that is going to kill you, is you, your mind. I have all the GAS IN THE WORLD, and once you can control your mind, you'll be surprised what you can accomplish.

Two year's ago when i panicked, i breathed so hard on my reg, it burned a hole in the back of my thought for 3-4 day's, and it was a lessoned to be learned, on how to deal with something that i never had to deal with , in diving .

Good luck, stay within your limit's, dive shallow, build up your confidence , so when you do go deeper, and the ***** hit's the fan, you'll work out it, rather then setting yourself up for another panic situation. Good luck, thanks for sharing your experience.

Does anyone remember the old NAUI Advanced book, its like a large novel. When I saw the new Advanced book, it was like a brochure and the test was 50 true/false questions that anyone open water diver could pass without taking the course.

Hey casemanager,

What about the fact that you have a history of panic? Why not tell them about the other prescription medications (yes multiple!) you were taking for this? What about the Nicorette gum you were chewing right before you went down? What about the fact that it was actually three Instructors and one Dive Master and the Dm was not there on the job, he was there for vacation. Two of the instructors were also just there on vacation and not a part of the training or the group. What about the fact that it was only 4 students and not 7.

What about the flawless treatment that they all gave you and fantastic work the captain and Dry Crew did in getting you back to the closest port with emergency crew standing by in record time (per the Coasties). The rescue work performed on you was right out the Rescue Diver text book.

There are a lot of little things that went wrong here but you really need to examine yourself and make a serious personal judgement about whether you should ever dive again or if you do whether you should ever go below 30 Ft. You also need to be a little grateful to the people that did work very hard in trying to make sure you survived.

LJ

Well now. That potentially puts a new spin on things. Wow. Were you there?

Joe

Just briefly re-reading everything here but I may have missed something.

ljin, I'm glad to hear of the well oiled plan of rescue and treatment, we all know we don't practice that near as much as we should, but this is no way makes up for the fact that it seems this gent should not even have been doing this course for many reasons cited, such as 25 dive in 6 years, and evidently a history of panic, etc.

Bascially he's a diver in name only, maybe we should rethink the recertification after X years issue. None the less, the guy should have been prequalified on every level, which would have possibly precluded him from even getting on the boat.

I find preventing an accident is better than treating one.

Putting an diver in the water at 35ft who is totally unskilled, is going to produce what at 100ft???

Any surprise here?

Bottom line is the Instructors is and should be on the hook for student under his care and control during his course. It's not the folks who don't know any better to second guess their instructor. It'd be nice if it worked that way on occassion, but it doesn't. That's why the one fellow is getting paid to perform a professional service, and the other is a student in training.

We've (dive agencies/Instructors) killed a few that way already. And the lunacy continues.

regards

I know that when I started diving, in order for me to get my Advanced cert. I had to have 50 dives all recent. I would be hard pressed to take someone with 25 dives in 6 years to anything like the SPG.
If you are going to be a diver, then dive. If you want to be good or comfortable doing anything (skiing, driving, snowboarding, etc. ) then you have to do it on a continuous and regular basis.
Just my 2 cents.
K

ljINfla:
Hey casemanager,

What about the fact that you have a history of panic? Why not tell them about the other prescription medications (yes multiple!) you were taking for this? What about the Nicorette gum you were chewing right before you went down?

LJ

There are always three sides to any story, yours, theirs, and the truth... Seems like we just got a bit MORE of the TRUTH!!

CaseManager, time to come clean.

I'm thrilled that you are OK. It could have been MUCH worst. Had you ascended out of control on the day I was diving the Grove without being on one of the ropes, you would have ended up far downcurrent from the boat, and that would likely have been it as they may have not found you for some time.

I do feel that the instructor should have been keeping a better eye on his students, however this is an advanced certification, and you did have a buddy. It's just as much your responsibility to stay with the buddy as it is his to stay with you. I'm betting he was with the instructor which is where I would have been if doing an advanced Certification, however I do try my best to keep my buddy close. Group dives are a bit difficult, but when I dive with an instructor in a class, I tend to shadow him, and expect my buddy to do so as well.

I'm seriously glad all is well, but it seems like you should maybe explain a bit more about your situation. Sounds like a pure panic attack to me that was caused by nothing more than your mind, or the feeling of vertigo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom