SPG's All The Same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Hey Zig.

24" won't work. Its simply a misprint on the Halcyon site and in their lit. For a single rig (coming off your left HP port on the single tank) its too short. 24" with doubles (off the left post) is OK.

Is that what you were using this weekend (24") because you could pluck a note on that thing it was streched so straight and tight. :D

I bought a 24"....no dice. Way too short. Went back to the hose that actually came with my OMS SPG (eBayed my 24", of course...) and life was good.

Here's a pic from last month when I went through this same hose length discussion.

K

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23279&highlight=SPG

Hummm .... and I'd swear a wise DIR'r just told us 24"!!! Okay, that would explain why it was so tuff to connect this weekend ... have to talk to "you know who" bout that one ~lol~

Thanks ... inches... Mo2vation!

~<//><

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...
Okay, I've repeated it - hell I even have one. SO? Have you ever tried to read your buddy's Vytec? Trust me, it ain't a pretty sight!

As I've said before, your SPG is a big part of your team’s resources and you should be able to show your buddy how much air you still have. In an OOA emergency its amazing how important that little piece of information is ... has an amazingly calming effect on all concerned (and at that moment, all are really concerned!).

~<//><
I also have an OMS brass SPG on a 24" hose to show my buddy :eek:ut: Apeks ATX200 - two HP ports.

24" works fine for me - both single and doubles. Just like the 22"/24" backup reg hose debate, whether or not it would work for you is going to depend on how high you mount your tank, the configuration of your regulator (if the HP port point straight out or slightly down), whether you let your pinky finger touch the beer glass while you drink, etc etc

That brings up another issue...and before you 'flame me' I should mention that Halcyon ALSO has weight integrated pockets for their harness, so I imagine this is a universale problem be it OMS or Halcyon pockets.

Last night while trying on my OMS rig with my drysuit I noticed that with the OMS NO-Sag Pocket on one side, I can’t even GET to my waist D-rings. Anyone run into this? That means if I ADD the 2nd pocket on the left side of my harness like I was going to I’ll never be able to clip my SPG onto the D-ring. Any suggestions, ideas? Now I’m not sure IF I want to buy a 2nd one now or not.

I have to have some way of being able to carry more weights (as much as 15# on my wait), IF I wind up needing more than the 15# my backplate and STA are worth. I DO NOT want to add a traditional weight belt due to the clutter/confusion or 2 waist belts (harness AND weight belt) and the fact that with my harness on I'd have to wear my weight belt low on my hips since my harness belt goes across the best part of my hips.

Thoughts?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Last night while trying on my OMS rig with my drysuit I noticed that with the OMS NO-Sag Pocket on one side, I can’t even GET to my waist D-rings. Anyone run into this? That means if I ADD the 2nd pocket on the left side of my harness like I was going to I’ll never be able to clip my SPG onto the D-ring. Any suggestions, ideas?

I think most people (myself included) simply have a drysuit with bellows pockets on the thighs and therefore don't need the hip/waist pockets.

If your drysuit isn't like that already, you can order aftermarket pockets that can be attached to a wetsuit/drysuit. I've only seen the FifthD ones, but I'm sure there are lots.

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...

Since PSI is almost universally used in the USA, unless you're going to be primarily diving in metric communities you really need to stay PSI. This is true for a number of reasons.

1) Most likely YOU think PSI and during an underwater emergency you want things as simple as possible.

2) Lots of decisions (dive duration, distance, turn around point, Rock Bottom Time etc.) are related to your tank pressure and all those decisions must be linked. For example, if you're having your tank filled to 3000PSI and you know in an emergency it is going to take you and your buddy 12 minutes to get safely to the surface, you're going to have to calculate what that means in tank pressure. i.e. the dive is over when you reach X PSI (say 1000). Moreover, you need to be able to figure that number for each dive and with different tanks. Adding a conversion from PSI to Bar each time is just too much work.

3a) Your SPG is one of your team's resources and your buddy(s) need to be able to read it too. Most of us "speak" PSI and don't know BAR. If I check with you to make sure you're ok and you tell me how much pressure you have in BAR's, it's going to make no sense and just confuse me. Even more importantly, if we're in a crisis and I'm OOA and you're sharing with me, we both want me to be able to read your pressure gauge! (Believe me, in an OOA situation, being able to show your buddy you have plenty of air for the two of us is - important.)

3b) As part of your teams resources, you may NEED me to be able to read your SPG easily. For example, just this morning I had an OOA emergency drill where my buddy lost his mask underwater and couldn't see. I then went OOA and needed him to share his air with me. No problem, once he realized my need (by touch since he couldn't see) we started sharing air. However, at this point neither of us knew how much air he had and until we knew that, we couldn't decide how to proceed. I therefore had to read his SPG and make that determination. If it had been in BARs I wouldn't have had a clue.

~<//><

P.S. Good news - we lived to dive another day [not that it was pretty].
I use one on my o2 bottle and it doesn't bother me or anyone else. I don't show it to my buddy and I don't dive thirds on my deco tanks :D

Am I missing something?

Oil filled pressure gauges tend to be more rugged and vibration damped. I use an oil filled unit from one of the European manufacturers. I tend to think that they are all more or less the same, functionality wise.

Ari :)

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
That brings up another issue...and before you 'flame me' I should mention that Halcyon ALSO has weight integrated pockets for their harness, so I imagine this is a universale problem be it OMS or Halcyon pockets.

Last night while trying on my OMS rig with my drysuit I noticed that with the OMS NO-Sag Pocket on one side, I can’t even GET to my waist D-rings. Anyone run into this? That means if I ADD the 2nd pocket on the left side of my harness like I was going to I’ll never be able to clip my SPG onto the D-ring. Any suggestions, ideas? Now I’m not sure IF I want to buy a 2nd one now or not.

I have to have some way of being able to carry more weights (as much as 15# on my wait), IF I wind up needing more than the 15# my backplate and STA are worth. I DO NOT want to add a traditional weight belt due to the clutter/confusion or 2 waist belts (harness AND weight belt) and the fact that with my harness on I'd have to wear my weight belt low on my hips since my harness belt goes across the best part of my hips.

Thoughts?
ScoobieDooo,

Are you talking about weight integration pockets, or goodies pockets? The Halcyon ACB weight pockets all come with an integrated D-ring for the left hand side.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Are you talking about weight integration pockets, or goodies pockets? The Halcyon ACB weight pockets all come with an integrated D-ring for the left hand side.

Ben,

Take a look at this...I think this is what he is referring to.

http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html#TOP

I think its mid-way down the page...look for "No Sag Pocket". It refers to this as combining both a goodie pocket with a weight integration system. If you have to dump your weights for whatever reason, do you lose your stuff with it?

I wonder...need yet another OMS owner I guess...

Although Halcyon 10# and 15# acb pockets use to come with a D ring on the left pocket, Halcyon stopped making the 10# pocket with D ring a couple of years ago. Makes no sense to me why they did this, as it leaves no place to attach the SPG on the left hip. D ring on the harness, next to the pocket, is too far from the hip to be used. Got the 10# pocket with the D ring and it works great. Found the 15# pocket to be too BIG. Sorry not to have bought a second set at the time, for backup. :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom