SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if your profile is accurate and you have less than 100dives you have no business diving 2 stages.
:sinq:​

Call the Scuba Police Ma! Valéry must be breaking the law or somethin'!

Valéry;5723640:
Now that was impossible to do with 2 stages clipped on the same shoulder d ring. So I had no other choice than putting the spg on the right post.

No other choice, eh? Interesting.

2 stages, 100m, whatever, no problem
Yet spg on the left = "big impossible problem"

What's wrong with this picture...

Too fast, too soon is starting to become epidemic, and the prevailing attitude on the internet seems to be to condemn the "scuba police" anytime someone posts something patently idiotic. Sooner or later there's gonna be a real body count piling up. Standards keep on slipping, nobody can be criticized for going too fast without condemnation of those offering the criticism, etc. So far (around here anyway) it has been divers getting scared and dropping out rather than divers getting killed, but based on what I'm seeing locally and on the internet, I really wonder how long that'll last...

One Adam Twelve, One Adam Twelve; DIR violation at 5th and main. Respond Code 2 after your Code 7....

One Adam Twelve, copy! 10-8 Code 2 after 10-7 :police: :m16: :angrymob:

what does it have to do with DIR?

Too fast, too soon is starting to become epidemic, and the prevailing attitude on the internet seems to be to condemn the "scuba police" anytime someone posts something patently idiotic. Sooner or later there's gonna be a real body count piling up. Standards keep on slipping, nobody can be criticized for going too fast without condemnation of those offering the criticism, etc. So far (around here anyway) it has been divers getting scared and dropping out rather than divers getting killed, but based on what I'm seeing locally and on the internet, I really wonder how long that'll last...

Actually its mostly just people who don't actually know what they are talking about spouting off based on what they've previously read and/or misunderstood someplace else. Seriously, actually diving 2 stages yet can't unclip an spg? I don't think its possible to be that inept in real life.

LOL! I love SB sometimes. Lamont, rjack321, keep fighting the good fight. I gave up on it long time ago. Meanwhile my friends keep putting more bodybags in the bottom of their dive vans...

Valéry;5723640:
I found it very stupid to clip the spg on your left hip d ring and to clip and clip each time you want to check your gaz level. I never put it there, instead I clip it on the left shoulder d ring, this way I just have to look down to check my spg without even touching it.

Now that was impossible to do with 2 stages clipped on the same shoulder d ring. So I had no other choice than putting the spg on the right post. So I did it and clipped it on the right shoulder d ring and was again a happy diver. Until 1 guy here mentioned why the spg was to be left on the left post, it's because if you forget your left post or your manifold closed you will notice it if its on the left post but not if it's on the right post.

So no other choice than to put it back on the left post but to be able to check it without having to touch it I just use the same routing as the drysuit inflator : under the left shoulder and the left bc pad to my chest.

Hope this help.

Dude, "Lean Left, Rich Right." Spread the love.

Peace,
Greg

Valéry;5723640:
I found it very stupid to clip the spg on your left hip d ring and to clip and clip each time you want to check your gaz level. I never put it there, instead I clip it on the left shoulder d ring, this way I just have to look down to check my spg without even touching it.

Now that was impossible to do with 2 stages clipped on the same shoulder d ring. So I had no other choice than putting the spg on the right post. So I did it and clipped it on the right shoulder d ring and was again a happy diver. Until 1 guy here mentioned why the spg was to be left on the left post, it's because if you forget your left post or your manifold closed you will notice it if its on the left post but not if it's on the right post.

So no other choice than to put it back on the left post but to be able to check it without having to touch it I just use the same routing as the drysuit inflator : under the left shoulder and the left bc pad to my chest.

Hope this help.

It does help, as it provides a perfect illustration of how a weak skill-set can lead to deviation from approved practices. Your choices aren't based upon a wealth of experience leading to an informed decision on configuration. You don't know how to make the system work, so you're juggling it around to compensate.

It isn't "stupid" to have your SPG on the left. Unless, with your 50-100 dives experience, you feel you know enough to chastize pretty much the majority of the technical diving community for such 'stupidity'.

It isn't "impossible" to wear two stages on one side. It's just a matter of practice and coordination. Removing and replacing stages is a core technical diving skill. It shouldn't matter if you have 2 or 10 stages..on either side, hanging from your butt D-ring, whatever...

There isn't "no other choice" about the configuration. The obvious other choice is to get the necessary experience and practice needed to be skilled enough to have the option of how you configure and use your kit. Valery doesn't have that option...

You haven't done anywhere near enough dives to obtain that level of expertise and capability yet. So why blame it on the system? It works for everyone else... but then, we weren't trying to dive 2 stages when we had less than 100 dives..

These skills take a lot of practice. That practice has to occur on the basis of an already exemplary foundation of core scuba skills.

Where that foundation and those skills don't exist, because of a lack of experience and/or effective training,.... it will lead to false premises; like that standardized techniques are "impossible" and "stupid".

I am firmly against 'dumbing down' technical diving and deviating from effective procedures as a compensation for lack of skill.

Do it properly, or don't do it at all. If you can't do it... then you aren't ready for it yet. If you think the system is stupid... then it's time to audit your ego...

Tech diving requires experience. It requires skill. It requires practice. It requires patience. It requires dedication. It requires humility. Most of all, it requires a transition from the 'anything goes, because it's all right' recreational diving mindset.

If you're jumping into tech diving with a bare minimum of diving experience, then it is highly likely that you don't possess the requirements I just mentioned.

Valery's post illustrates that nicely...

Back
Top Bottom