SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KY:
Also, as you will no doubt agree, there are many different configurations, and likewise there are peoplethat are not right handed but left handed. Which in turn, would mean that potentially those divers are doing a number of things in reverse!?

In the cave diving configuration popularized by Hogarth, DIR, NAUI-Tech, etc the important issue is not the handedness of the diver, but the fact that the right post on the manifold will not roll off. That means that the long hose comes off the right side to prevent a roll off when donating gas. Since you don't want to trap the long hose, the SPG hose goes on the other side.

It might have made sense to have the left post use a reverse threaded valve so that it also would not roll off, but changing now would cause too much potential confusion.

In the cave diving configuration popularized by Hogarth, DIR, NAUI-Tech, etc the important issue is not the handedness of the diver, but the fact that the right post on the manifold will not roll off. That means that the long hose comes off the right side to prevent a roll off when donating gas. Since you don't want to trap the long hose, the SPG hose goes on the other side.

It might have made sense to have the left post use a reverse threaded valve so that it also would not roll off, but changing now would cause too much potential confusion.

To expand on this, by placing the SPG on the left post, it also puts it in a position that would make it much quicker/easier to detect if the isolator valve were accidentally closed.

KY:
Anyhow, agree with what you say, but from my stand point i was replying direct to the point that the only reason the SPG comes around from the left rather than the right is solely, and specifically due to task loading. Which, i believe you agree, is complete and utter tosh, and is a point we both agree upon.
Ah, ok. I think we were talking a cross purposes.

In my initial post about 'task loading', I was referring to the OP and where, I believed, his problems stemmed from. It wasn't concerning hose routing in general. :D

I dive a number of different rigs and route my SPG (when I use one) in four different ways. Clipped to the left hip D ring (modern singles), clipped to the right side of my horse collar (vintage singles), both clipped to my chest D rings (double indies) and routed down my wing inflator hose (modern singles). All methods have their place and time and work well.

Reach down with the left hand, unclip the SPG, raise the SPG to chest height, read the SPG whilst illuminating it with the torch (in your right hand).

What's the issue?

or turn the regs so that the SPG (if its only got 1 hp port) comes from the right. Or use the other HP port if its got 2.

Or put the SPG along with some bungee running down the inflator hose so its always near the inflation button so needs no hands to hold.

There is no convention for an SPG and as always there are lots of ways to do it. If youre finding one inconvenient simply use another methods. You decide how you dive and configure your gear, not somebody else.

you should put it where you like it. I keep mine tucked in my left side BC pocket. (don't like anything dangling down) I tried using a retractor clipped 3 or 4 different places before I decided on the pocket. When I need to check it, I reach back, check it out, then put it back. nothing hanging, and I always know right where it is.

you should put it where you like it. I keep mine tucked in my left side BC pocket.

I'd agree - if this thread was in the basic (recreational) diving forum.

But since we're talking about advanced diving then a greater degree of methodology and foresight in your configuration is required. Sticking it in your BCD pocket, just wouldn't cut the mustard on a Trimix or Cave class...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...e-read-special-forum-rules-terms-service.html
Advanced Scuba Discussions - A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc.

Hey Devon diver, why after putting you putting 6 posts on this topic you put in....?

Advanced Scuba Discussions - A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc.

when on the main page...
Advanced Scuba Discussions (8 Viewing)
Have a Scuba question that's beyond a 'basic' one but not really 'technical?' Get it answered here.

You were the first one to reply to the post? Why couldn't you see that the poster has less than 50 dives. He had a question about trying to jugle everything while on a night dive. Not a trimix or cave dive.

But since we're talking about advanced diving then a greater degree of methodology and foresight in your configuration is required. Sorry if putting it in a side pocket "doesn't cut the mustard with you." But tried it many places as well as....to have the spg on a short hose clipped vertically to the left hip D-ring. COLOR] (as you posted earlier) When I have much less snags with it in my side pocket and NOT dangling from my hip. (especially going through kelp)

You have a lot of diving experience and it great to share with people. But I see a lot of your posts, and you should really try being a lot less pompous.

1) To remind people which forum they are in... as this has a reflection on the nature of the debate.

2) I am a moderator, so it helps to keep things on track. I am aware that many people don't read the sticky here, despite agreeing to the site TOS upon joining, which specifically states they should be aware of all special forum rules.

3) In a technical diving forum/diving, certain methodologies have more sway... and there are significant differences with what would be acceptable or commonplace within recreational diving. One must assume that the OP wanted a tech-orientated reponse, given his choice of forum. Otherwise, it'd be hard to imagine 'SPG location' as anything other than a very basic level debate..

4) I apologise for sounding pompous - obviously the gulf in experience and perception can make an authoratitive post sound that way, especially when a debate straddles both technical and recreational diving viewpoints. But...as per the sticky... this is a 'big boys' debate forum. :)

In the cave diving configuration popularized by Hogarth, DIR, NAUI-Tech, etc the important issue is not the handedness of the diver, but the fact that the right post on the manifold will not roll off.

Not to hijack the post but has that ever happened? I know people say it a lot, and it is de rigeur as part of technical training, but I just cannot ever envisage a situation where the mechanics are such that one could bump the ceiling of a cave so often that something as stiff as a manifold would rotate three full circuits and close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom