SPG position? On the left? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It comes down to whatever suits you and the diving you do. For lobster diving, the cleanest rig I found was a AI computer with pressure and compass attached to a retractor on my left side. I have an interest in technical diving and now my configuration is more in line with the requirements of the respective technical diving courses.

For me its about muscle memory and not having to change the configuration/placement of gear based on the dive I'm doing.

Dwayne

With <49 dives I think the OP needs more practice. And maybe to work on one issue at a time vs. a bunch simultaneously - like maybe skip running a reel, that's a CF waiting to happen if you aren't ready with the basics.

I have no issues running line (kicking or scootering), checking my SPG on the fly, checking my gauges, etc. Took awhile but those skills are do-able with experience and practice.

KY:
task loading??? what utter tosh..... what complete and utter tosh...

its all down to just ease of access...

For someone who claims to have extensive experience as a scuba diver, you demonstrate a very weak understanding of how divers' develop their skills and capabilities as their experience progresses. :shakehead:

For someone who claims to have extensive experience as a scuba diver, you demonstrate a very weak understanding of how divers' develop their skills and capabilities as their experience progresses. :shakehead:

:handball: sorry mate, dont understand a word you've just written there? you want to explain in plain english??

KY:
:handball: sorry mate, dont understand a word you've just written there? you want to explain in plain english??

You claim to have a lot of diving experience, so maybe you have forgotten how the capabilities of novice divers are limited, and how performing concurrent tasks places a relatively higher demand on them.

For a sub-50 dive, novice, using a reel and torch...at night...whilst having to monitor gauges, maintain buoyancy, buddy awareness etc.... is a relatively high degree of task loading. For you and me it isn't.

The problems that the OP described, sound a lot like he is having difficulty performing these tasks at the same time. His configuration is fine - it's used by multitudes of divers all over the world without difficulty. The root of his problem is simply that he is having to adjust to the greater demands needed to operate new equipment.

In that sense, your rebuttal of the impact of 'task loading' in this instance, seemed to lack understanding or empathy with the capabilities of a novice diver.

Clear enough?

KY:
task loading??? what utter tosh..... what complete and utter tosh...

its all down to just ease of access...

KY:

Turn about, fair play...

sorry [-]mate[/-] dood, I don't understand a word you've just written there? you want to explain in plain English??

You claim to have a lot of diving experience, so maybe you have forgotten how the capabilities of novice divers are limited, and how performing concurrent tasks places a relatively higher demand on them.

For a sub-50 dive, novice, using a reel and torch...at night...whilst having to monitor gauges, maintain buoyancy, buddy awareness etc.... is a relatively high degree of task loading. For you and me it isn't.

The problems that the OP described, sound a lot like he is having difficulty performing these tasks at the same time. His configuration is fine - it's used by multitudes of divers all over the world without difficulty. The root of his problem is simply that he is having to adjust to the greater demands needed to operate new equipment.

In that sense, your rebuttal of the impact of 'task loading' in this instance, seemed to lack understanding or empathy with the capabilities of a novice diver.

Clear enough?

ahh okay, now you are beginning to make sense. Your first post really did come accross as being quite incomprehensible.

Anyhow, agree with what you say, but from my stand point i was replying direct to the point that the only reason the SPG comes around from the left rather than the right is solely, and specifically due to task loading. Which, i believe you agree, is complete and utter tosh, and is a point we both agree upon.

Also, as you will no doubt agree, there are many different configurations, and likewise there are peoplethat are not right handed but left handed. Which in turn, would mean that potentially those divers are doing a number of things in reverse!?

Hence, a statement reinforcing the principle that an SPG that comes around from the right, is task loading, is in fact incorrect, as not enough is known about the situation. Further, can it not be argued that with a well thought out dive gear configuration, a person could in fact be less task loaded with an SPG coming around from the right than a badly configured setup which brings the SPG around from the left??

Anyhow, by direct reply to the original poster:

So... the dive computer and compass need to be in one hand, while the dive light is in the opposite hand.

This is the only way to see the gauges. - Whats wrong with clipping the SPG to your chest?? makes it easier to illuminate!??!

The reel must be in the same hand as the dive light (goodman handle). As I am right handed, the reel should probably go to my left hand. - with practice you become ambidextrous with the reel...

This allows easier spooling in. So the light is to the left. Compass and computer to the right. All seems clear. If I ever need to use the drysuit forced dump button, my right hand is free of gear, and button pressing is easy. Very nice. - Agreed.

But then...

My SPG is left in darkness to the LEFT.

Why is it so popular to keep the SPG to the left? - From my side, because its easier to read, and creates 1 less cable to come around from the right hand side.

I really can't see the point. I understand that it is the DIR way of doing things (like including a mostly useless DPV D-ring in the crotch strap while leaving out the right hip D-ring for canister lights - a fact that makes me a bit agnostic). - Why not have a D-ring on the right?? nothing to prevent you from doing so, if you so wish?!?! i know i do!!! in fact i have 2 on my right :)

Should I just learn to turn the light 135 degrees down/back, the SPG 180 degrees/upside down, and my head 135 degrees down? Is it just a matter of mastering underwater yoga? Or would it perhaps be more clever to be a heretic and just move the SPG to the right? - Youre call... entirely up to yourself. Only you can decide....

I admit, when i dive with indi's i have 1 x spg clipped to left chest d ring, and 1 x spg to right chest d ring. But honestly, the left chest spg is always easier to read, as you have soo much going on on the right, with your reg, your backup reg, your sling tank etc etc etc... whereas on your left, all you have is your inflator hose!!!

Back
Top Bottom