SPG placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...great until your light comes on during a dive and no one sees it, then when you need it it's not working or diminished.

It has never happened. I am careful to ensure they do not come on accidentally.

If you have all your stages on the left, and a back up torch clipped to you chest D-ring on the left (and possibly the right). Why not have the SPG on the Right hand side? Surely that would make more sense, most people in the world are right handed after all. If the SPG was clipped to the Right chest D-ring it would be visible at all times, also if streamlined it shouldn't interfere with the Long-hose or Can-light.

Historically, in a singles configuration, there wasn't an easy way to route the HP hose to the right hand side due to regulators with only one HP out. It would be one more hose laying over the top of the wing behind your head. If you accidentally unclip it instead of your can light you could put it back on top of the longhose.

Just thoughts.

Not mine, for the same reasons of reducing clutter. B/U lights are stowed in my dry/wetsuit pockets. Primary regulator 2nd stage is clipped to my necklace bungee and not my chest d-ring when it is not in use. D-Ring clutter is not cool....:no:

How about pocket clutter? Once you have safety spools, spare mask, spare bottom timer, SMB, wetnotes, line markers... aren't the pockets getting sort of full?

Not mine, for the same reasons of reducing clutter. B/U lights are stowed in my dry/wetsuit pockets.

I agree that putting a light in a pocket can reduce clutter, but to the best of my knowledge that's not a typical DIR configuration.

How about pocket clutter? Once you have safety spools, spare mask, spare bottom timer, SMB, wetnotes, line markers... aren't the pockets getting sort of full?
I don't carry a spare mask, or wetnotes. SMB's are not needed in caves and thats pretty much the only place I dive these days. Spare bottom timer? I carry 2 computers on my wrist.

I agree that putting a light in a pocket can reduce clutter, but to the best of my knowledge that's not a typical DIR configuration.

It isn't? I don't know much about DIR configuration...just pointing out alternative approaches.

No Dogma here.

I really strongly dislike the idea of clipping to the right chest ring. I dive with a few people who clip to the chest d-ring, and they all do it to the left for good reason. If you're diving doubles, now your SPG is coming off the right regulator with the attendant problems that causes. And since every reg change involves the right shoulder somehow or another (clipping it off, looping over the neck), I'd rather have that space clear. Long hose wouldn't be trapped but I'd be surprised if it were entirely impossible to snag it on the SPG. And there are alot of things clipped to that d-ring.

Personally I can't stand when my backup lights aren't clipped to the shoulder d-rings. The d-rings flop around and make clipping things off a pain. Yet another example of how when you start proposing "improvements" unintended consequences start rearing their head. Which is not to say that things can't evolve and be thought about, but I've yet to see a compelling improvement that makes breaking the system worth it (the one possible exception would be light cord under long hose instead of over, but the jury's still out there). And y'all suggesting improvements in this thread might want to learn what the system actually is before making random comments. All the snipes about "dogma" ring pretty hollow when the DIR practitioners have provided a pretty detailed justification for each part of the system.

My apologies to the members of this forum. My awareness was off & I did not realize this was a DIR forum. I have never waded into a DIR forum and run my mouth off about gear configuration, and it will not happen again. Sorry for the

:hijack:

CONS of HIP D-RING:
1) I HAVE to wear 5mm gloves minimum and unclipping the SPG and looking at the gauge is a real chore.
2) It takes me a good 2 min in which I am totally concentrated only on my SPG.
@Seraphimx: With the right size bolt-snap, proper technique, and a little practice, these disadvantages disappear. 2 min. is a looooong time to be futzing with a gauge. If it takes you that long to unclip/read/clip-off, then I'm not surprised you've chosen to go in a different direction.

*no longer relevant*

My apologies to the members of this forum. My awareness was off & I did not realize this was a DIR forum. I have never waded into a DIR forum and run my mouth off about gear configuration, and it will not happen again.

No worries. I've done similar things myself. Wound up in the Lesser Antilles forum being very confused ;-). They really ought to flag it better for those like myself who often just look through the whole board's new posts. Maybe a robot with lasers shouting, "Danger Will Robinson!" when you enter a post in the forum, or a skull and crossbones in the background.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom