SPG placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of putting your finger through the SPG snap's ring, try just hooking the finger behind the HP hose.

Of course, now rjack goes and tells me I need to buy the in-between sizes again - I'd just settled on just using 1" and 3/8" #00 for everything :)

Henrik

A fairly "normal" set would be...
SPG, 3/4"
primary reg, 1/2"
backup lights and primary light head, 3/8"
stages, 1"
leash if not using a double ender, 3/4"

Some never-use-gloves-divers who use many stages (MX caves for instance) sometimes use a 3/8" on the spg. Some single tank only divers use a bigger snap on the SPG. While not entirely standard, the sizes above should work for most anyone though.

Instead of putting your finger through the SPG snap's ring, try just hooking the finger behind the HP hose.

That's what I used to do until Bob showed me the "finger through" option.

A fairly "normal" set would be...
SPG, 3/4"
primary reg, 1/2"
backup lights and primary light head, 3/8"
stages, 1"
leash if not using a double ender, 3/4"

Thanks, that's a good reference.

Henrik

Just to make sure I have everything DIR here:

If you have all your stages on the left, and a back up torch clipped to you chest D-ring on the left (and possibly the right). Why not have the SPG on the Right hand side? Surely that would make more sense, most people in the world are right handed after all. If the SPG was clipped to the Right chest D-ring it would be visible at all times, also if streamlined it shouldn't interfere with the Long-hose or Can-light.

If you have all your stages on the left, and a back up torch clipped to you chest D-ring on the left (and possibly the right). Why not have the SPG on the Right hand side? Surely that would make more sense, most people in the world are right handed after all. If the SPG was clipped to the Right chest D-ring it would be visible at all times, also if streamlined it shouldn't interfere with the Long-hose or Can-light.

Disaster! Right hand side has a backup light always (unless in use), plus the long hose gets clipped there when not in use, plus the can light gets clipped there when not in use.

Disaster! Right hand side has a backup light always (unless in use), plus the long hose gets clipped there when not in use, plus the can light gets clipped there when not in use.

...and you cannot now check your gas while on the trigger of a scooter very easily unless you temporarily or permanently drive the scooter with the left hand ... that holds the light and so on...

Just to make sure I have everything DIR here:

Drive the scooter with the right hand so now can't check it underway.
Can trap long hose.

Right chest ends up with alot of stuff on it: backup light, lighthead, primary reg, and spare double ender is already 4 things to sort through. An SPG there would not be a welcome addition. Especially, as has been pointed out, because its just not necessary to be checking it constantly.

Seriously I only need to check my SPG maybe 4 times on a typical dive, why does it need to be so "in my face"? Answer: it doesn't.

2 Stages on the left verses one Back-up light on the right.

Goodmans Handles.

...and you cannot now check your gas while on the trigger of a scooter very easily unless you temporarily or permanently drive the scooter with the left hand ... that holds the light and so on...

Clipped to right chest ring, so you can look down to check it, you do not need to let go of the scooter.

Drive the scooter with the right hand so now can't check it underway.
Can trap long hose

How exactly? The long hose is routed under the light canister. The SPG hose would come under the right shoulder and be clipped directly to the chest d-ring unobtrusively.

If the long hose has a need to be clipped then you have finished with your back gas and do not need to check it again, so it you can clip off an not worry about retrieval; if you view the D-ring as over crowded. You will not be taking anything off until the surface.

Something else that I haven't seen mentioned is that backup lights are typically located on your chest d-ring as well.

Not mine, for the same reasons of reducing clutter. B/U lights are stowed in my dry/wetsuit pockets. Primary regulator 2nd stage is clipped to my necklace bungee and not my chest d-ring when it is not in use. D-Ring clutter is not cool....:no:

Not mine, for the same reasons of reducing clutter. B/U lights are stowed in my dry/wetsuit pockets. Primary regulator 2nd stage is clipped to my necklace bungee and not my chest d-ring when it is not in use. D-Ring clutter is not cool....:no:

...great until your light comes on during a dive and no one sees it, then when you need it it's not working or diminished.

Clipped to right chest ring, so you can look down to check it, you do not need to let go of the scooter.

Yeah, I guess, I prefer to have it where I can manipulate it while scootering, especially frustrating on the right chest given what else can be there as RJack said, and if for instance it keeps getting turned away from you when you move your arm for instance.

Plus, there is a benefit to standardizing and there is a well-known system in place that means me + all the buddies I dive with have it in the same place.

You're (the royal "you" :) are welcomed to put it wherever obviously :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom