SPG placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really need to just put the SPG on the hip if you are ever going to actually learn the skill of efficiently clipping and unclipping it. Yes its a skill. Took me a good 2mins to do it at first too. Now its not a problem to have 2 stages, a bunch more on a leash, an argon bottle, and access my SPG and put it back in no time at all.

Shortening the SPG hose and/or putting it on the chest is not going to serve you well for most (backmount) technical diving in the future. Even something like a S-drill is not really complete without being able to access the SPG. (even though there are variations on the S-drill which don't demand showing it to your buddy).

Last edited:
Do whatever YOU like, a lot of people take the DIR setup as GUIDELINES and adapt some of it. I'm trying out the left chest d-ring, at the moment I like it.

Hmmmm ... I like having my SPG's up against my body between my shoulder and my collarbone ... but I'm not going to use the DIR forum to talk about the advantages of diving a sidemount setup.

Location, location, location ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do whatever YOU like, a lot of people take the DIR setup as GUIDELINES and adapt some of it.

I certainly will. Just wanted to know the reasoning since it's clear that a lot of thought went into their system. Most of the GUE recommendations make immediate sense but not that one. Thanks to everyone who answered.

I cut the first two fingers and thumb of my gloves off about 1" per. I found that I don't notice it as far as my hands/fingers getting cold in 50 degree water. If you have some old gloves, give it a try.

OH, the SPG: I keep it on the left hip d-ring, but I cheat. My computer is AI w/transmitter, so I only check my SPG a couple times per dive - mainly just to make sure the AI computer and SPG match. Right post transmitter, left post SPG. Easy enough.

Reactions: Jax
Can we keep it to DIR answers please. Read the TOS for this forum.

Asking why is fine, justifying your own interpretations/modifications belong elsewhere to not clutter this forum with alternative answers. (not saying they are wrong, they just don't belong here)

I'm pretty much a new diver but I had the same problem;

CONS of HIP D-RING:
1) I HAVE to wear 5mm gloves minimum and unclipping the SPG and looking at the gauge is a real chore.
2) It takes me a good 2 min in which I am totally concentrated only on my SPG.

It was hard for me too at the beginning to do it in 5mm gloves, but if you keep at it you'll develop the skill. And it'll help for other manipulation with 5mm gloves. Don't try to do it too fast, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

And don't despair, we're about to get in that part of the season where you don't need 5mm gloves in the river!!! (just something to protect you from zebra mussels)

Having it on the chest d-ring can add confusion when carrying multiple stages. I have actually heard of divers reading the wrong SPG when clipped to the chest (OK, it was actually me before DIR). I had great consumption rates when the gauge never moved off 3000 psi!!!

took me about 6 dives to get use to the SPG on the left hip D-ring, first few dives with no gloves just to make it a bit more tactical, now i can use my normal warm gloves and i did a dive iwth my 5mm and 7mm's just to check them. once you develope the skill its really not worth discussing anylonger.
Single rig up & you always know what its for.

I guess i cheat too since i have a Large SPG and a bolt clip that i can hook a finger through the back loop to control it a bit better but even that is not needed, a small one will work just as well.

Practice, practice, practice.

Horizontal decents felt goofy at first as well, now its just decending.....

CONS of HIP D-RING:
1) I HAVE to wear 5mm gloves minimum and unclipping the SPG and looking at the gauge is a real chore.
2) It takes me a good 2 min in which I am totally concentrated only on my SPG.

It really doesn't take that long once you have practiced it. If your boltsnap is large enough to get a finger through, your thumb should automatically fall on the snap release. This is classic equipment solution to a skills problem.

PROs of CHEST D-RING:
1) I just have to look down to see it.
2) I have to monitor my gas constantly because if I get caught up in current the SPG going down fast will remind me to slow down, relax and take it easy.
3) I don't carry deco bottles.

You shouldn't have to monitor your gas constantly. This is also a classic equipment solution to a skills problem (in this case, the skill is relaxed breathing). If you don't hear a leak, there can be no catastrophic gas loss. Checking every 5 minutes or so is more than sufficient. Another skill that can help here is learning to keep track of average depth in your head and predict your gas consumption based on that.

I understand the need for standardized equipment, but I prefer to be in control how I dive before changing it, maybe later down the road I'll go with the hip D-Ring, but not at the moment.

If he is carrying a Pony bottle it can be for multiple use, maybe for deco on deeper dives or simply as backup gas. If it's the second option he will still need to monitor his backgas.

That "pony" bottle you refer to should generally be breathed first, not second. Deco gas will obviously get breathed at the end. However, it comes back to learning how to predict your gas consumption, staying alert for leaks, and mastering the manual skill of unclipping/reclipping the SPG.

Furthermore, the 24in SPG hose is not long enough to create drag if under left chest D-ring. It stays snug against the body and has enough loose (2in or so) not to be too tight. With the same hose lenght you can attach it to the right chest D-ring, but the fit is too tight for me and it's more of a hazard than a tool.

Why are you determining your equipment placement based on what hose you currently have?

What is annoying with the left chest D-ring is that the Inflator, SPG and Backup light are all in the same spot.
I change the backup light to the right and it's a better setup but the mixup with the inflator and SPG is present.

In general, the chest is cluttered. That's why the SPG goes on the hip. What will you do when you add a bottle on the left? Or a second backup light (which even in recreational diving helps hold down the D-ring and makes life much more pleasant)?

Do whatever YOU like, a lot of people take the DIR setup as GUIDELINES and adapt some of it. I'm trying out the left chest d-ring, at the moment I like it.

There's nothing wrong with clipping to the left chest d-ring. But your answers hardly make the case for it.

I'm sorry looks like I posted in the wrong forum.

1- Multiple person commented that the SPG hose length would need to be shortened, I just wanted to inform the OP that I clip it with the standard length HP hose, and it's not too long.

2- After reading through the post I think I may need a larger boltsnap, I can put a finger through if I have no gloves on.

3- My understanding of a Pony bottle was that it was used in case of an primary backgas failure, the pony would be used as a backup. I use a Y-valve (w/ 2 dip stick) instead of a pony.

4- I don't monitor it every minute, I monitor it every 5min or so, still removing the gear to do it would take a while. I can see where a larger clip would help.

We are all in the process of learning, I'll try a larger clip and I'll post back after having tried it on a dive, next weekend surely.

ATOM: Looks like the temps are rapidly going up on the 25th, I dove with a guy and he was wearing plain coral gloves. Haven't tried it but I'll see if I can go down on the thickness of the gloves too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom