SPG placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasnt taught specifically in my fundamentals class, but it seems a good way to communicate gas and allow the guy who just had OOA to calm a bit.

You're probably too recent a grad, the "show spg" portion was removed from the GUE s-drill maybe 3 yrs ago. The logic being that you either have enough gas or you're both gonna die (in the cave) anyway.

UTD is a bit more I guess unrealistic(?) too. Showing the gauge is supposed to be this point where you make a decision to eg return upslope or do a free ascent on a shore dive. Although you have to continually remake the "swim in" decision based on the actual consumption of the OOG recipient, something which I think is glossed over a bit.

Bottom line:
I've shown or needed to remove and point to my gauge on various dives and in various drills. Generally with novices who I am trying to ask "how much gas do you have?" when they are confused about my question and/or I don't trust the "flashing 5" hand signals I get back. Even with ideal buddies I think not having to worry about your light cord and long hose while restowing the gauge is a pretty important detail, just one more nauce of why its on the left.

I am not DIR but I do keep it on my left hip D ring, but I have it on a retractor. Since my computer has a transmitter with the pressure I rarely look at it anyway, although I make a point to at least 3 times during the dive just in-case. I keep a pony on my back with a Pony Tamer but was thinking about slinging on my left.

I am not DIR but I do keep it on my left hip D ring, but I have it on a retractor. Since my computer has a transmitter with the pressure I rarely look at it anyway, although I make a point to at least 3 times during the dive just in-case. I keep a pony on my back with a Pony Tamer but was thinking about slinging on my left.

Cue Rainer chiming in about how many retractors he went through before giving up on them in 5...4...3...2....

:-D

Retractor, transmitter, pony bottle ... wow ... a trifecta ...

... all we need now is Godwin's Law and this thread will be complete ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just take a dive or two and spend it clipping and unclipping while you swim around and enjoy the dive. You'll very quickly go from taking 90 seconds to 9. It's like everything in diving: practice makes better.

[And yes, I had some retrators when I first started diving. They'd get gunked up with sand and stop working. Waste of money.]

i'm not a dir diver, but i have a hoseless computer with my pressure clipped off to my air2 with a retractor, I find its the easiest to hear it beep when i'm low on gas by keeping it there closer to my ears, i can just pull it on the retractor when i want to look at it.

:mooner:

i'm not a dir diver, but i have a hoseless computer with my pressure clipped off to my air2 with a retractor, I find its the easiest to hear it beep when i'm low on gas by keeping it there closer to my ears, i can just pull it on the retractor when i want to look at it.

I solve that problem by not going low on gas.

Nice, I'm going to set up that way from now on. My only question is how to hear my low on air beep while listening to David Hasselhof tunes on my swiMP3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom