SPG placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<sorry if this is a bit of thread drift>

as i understand it, it is not a requirement for the skill. :)

How I interpret that is: whether the instructor chooses to teach it that way is neither here not there, but if the instructor chooses to give a diver a 2-3 on that skill for specifically not showing the gauge, they would be grading outside 2008 SOP or Interim SOP / S&P's

How to perform each skill is pretty transparent, its written out very clearly in SOP and in class materials, and also discussed multiple times in class. how you will be 'graded' on said skills is also very transparent. in a perfect world there will be no variance from instructor to instructor when it comes down to it.

They may display higher standards or ask you to perform skills to a higher standard (as in ask you to strive for trim closer to 5 or 10 than 20) when practicing so that when nerves kick in at eval time you are not starting at 20 degrees and dropping to 30 or whatever, but when it is time for putting a number on performance the formula is rather cut and dry and almost no room for 'interpretation', by design.

SO, as Lamont mentioned, the pressure gauge clip/unclip during S-drill is likely a holdover from another time. I have not personally seen it in any of my GUE classes or ones that i filmed for starting in late 05 or 06 (although time is getting fuzzy in my old age - in the beginning, i had difficulty with the unclip/clip so would have remembered that :wink:

not that it matters now. Get good at it because one way or another you'll need to show proficiency. Being able to monitor your gas is an important concept, and because these skills are designed as building blocks for future classes, you WILL need to be able to unclip/clip when you have a bottle (or camera) in the way that is obstructing ability to just crane your neck around and cheat at it.... Just not as a part of that specific skill :wink:

There's nothing wrong with clipping to the left chest d-ring. But your answers hardly make the case for it.

Not a huge difference maker, but the hose would protrude outside of your slip-stream creating unnecessary drag...

Not a huge difference maker, but the hose would protrude outside of your slip-stream creating unnecessary drag...

My friends who do this mostly seem to route under their arm, in which case it's reasonably streamlined.

My friends who do this mostly seem to route under their arm, in which case it's reasonably streamlined.

I noticed that all of the tec crew (before closure) on Bikini Island configured their rigs in that manner. I guess if you are not accomplishing alot of finning, what the heck...

My right hip d-ring, which holds my lobster bag never misses hitting the floor during rig evaluation during GUE classes. :(

The show-SPG part of the S-drill was only part of the GUE S-drill when AG was involved with GUE, he introduced it, and it followed him to UTD. And by 2005, GUE was back to not doing that as part of the drill.

Some of the GUE history in the PNW / West Coast I've found to be a bit skewed after cross-checking local legend with people who were around back then outside of the PNW...

Nope, I didn't take GUE-F from AG. And it was part of my S-drills in C1 in 2006ish. It was officially removed from the drill by a GUE memo in about 2007-8 IIRC and wasn't part of the drill in C2 which was 2008ish

SO, as Lamont mentioned, the pressure gauge clip/unclip during S-drill is likely a holdover from another time. I have not personally seen it in any of my GUE classes or ones that i filmed for starting in late 05 or 06 (although time is getting fuzzy in my old age - in the beginning, i had difficulty with the unclip/clip so would have remembered that :wink:

You are so full of crap. Who's class did you film in 2005 or 6?

Nope, I didn't take GUE-F from AG. And it was part of my S-drills in C1 in 2006ish. It was officially removed from the drill by a GUE memo in about 2007-8 IIRC and wasn't part of the drill in C2 which was 2008ish

Which is largely consistent with what I said, although I may have been wrong about it being entirely gone by 2005, but it was on the way out and I had a class then which did not do it, and the later memo clarified that for all the GUE instructors. GUE has never turned on a dime.

Laura filmed my Fundies class in November of 2006. We did not show the gauge. I did not encounter that until my husband took Essentials from Joe Talavera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom