Speedos and Real Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay here are the rules:

DIR perspective:

1) No speedo allowed. It is simply another failure point (although a black speedo with a big blue "H" on the front would be pretty damn funny).

If you do wear a banana hammock, remember this:

1) Trim the forest. The ladies do it, and we should also do this for all of humanity.
2) No thong-backed hammocks. That is just wrong.
3) Evaluate yourself. You may not be hammock qualified. This is okay. We should be comfortable with our bodies. If you are in doubt, either stop doing drugs and look in the mirror, or in the alternative, ScubaBabe22 is offering a cert class, it is one day, $100, and if you have the appropriate c-card, then you will be let on the boat.

If you go commando:

1) Learn the art of the deck-change. It isn't that difficult, they make towels in all sizes, and nobody wants to see your junk. Especially if you violate the rule about trimming.

Underlying these rules is that, unlike ladies, men just aren't that visually appealing. Let's face it, even when in shape, we are lumpy, hairy and down right funny looking. We compensate for this by wearing practical things, like surf trunks. Love your body, but please don't feel like you need to wear a speedo to fully express the fact that you have embraced your self-image and are comfortable with that. Don't worry, I'll take your word for it.

-Doug (who goes commando, knows how to deck change, and doesn't wear a speedo. Ever.)

dsteding:
Okay here are the rules:

DIR perspective:

1) No speedo allowed. It is simply another failure point (although a black speedo with a big blue "H" on the front would be pretty damn funny).

If you do wear a banana hammock, remember this:

1) Trim the forest. The ladies do it, and we should also do this for all of humanity.
2) No thong-backed hammocks. That is just wrong.
3) Evaluate yourself. You may not be hammock qualified. This is okay. We should be comfortable with our bodies. If you are in doubt, either stop doing drugs and look in the mirror, or in the alternative, ScubaBabe22 is offering a cert class, it is one day, $100, and if you have the appropriate c-card, then you will be let on the boat.

If you go commando:

1) Learn the art of the deck-change. It isn't that difficult, they make towels in all sizes, and nobody wants to see your junk. Especially if you violate the rule about trimming.

Underlying these rules is that, unlike ladies, men just aren't that visually appealing. Let's face it, even when in shape, we are lumpy, hairy and down right funny looking. We compensate for this by wearing practical things, like surf trunks. Love you body, but please don't feel like you need to wear a speedo to fully express the fact that you have embraced your self-image and are comfortable with that. Don't worry, I'll take your word for it.

-Doug (who goes commando, knows how to deck change, and doesn't wear a speedo. Ever.)
:lol:
Can we get this added to all the agencies OW course? This is valuable info that should be taught at an early stage of diving. :D

*applauding* Well done, Doug!

And yes, for the deck change, use the head (if available), or else wrap a towel around yourself and at least PRETEND to be shielding unsuspecting passengers from the sight of your frank 'n' beans.

*shudder*

I had the unpleasant experience of diving with my Dad, who insisted upon wearing a speedo.....very BIG violation of Doug's Rule #3.

Bubble Junky:
Men weren't designed to wear lycra below the waist !
Not entirely true.

They're called "Jammers". Speedo makes them (among others), but don't hold that against 'em. They're more like lycra bike racing shorts, without bike padding, made of traditional speedo-style swimsuit material.

http://www.speedousa.com/index.cfm/...4f3781b-b369-4503-88b5-b13916d3d6e0/search/1/

So... there are speedos, and then there are speedos. It's the cut that determines the acceptable-ness factor. ;-)

Mind you, there are some people that won't look pretty even in these. But it's better than any of the alternatives.

Picture:
7050268_004_dt.jpg

Those are great I use them....no need for stealthy commando changes, drop shorts and put on the wetsuit.

A buddy of mine (think large and hairy) who chooses to wear a speedo under his wetsuit, and generally brings shorts for over the speedo overheated in the pool in a 3mm shorty during our Rescue Class about 10 minutes into the pool drills.

He decided to remove the wetsuit for the remainder of the pool sessions, and we had the pleasure of rescuing him in his speedo the remainder of the time (hours). I guess I wanted that cert bad! :mooner:

All I can say is this.... Men, wear whatever you like, but if you expect me to rescue you either ON or IN the water, you BETTER have a heck of a lot more on than a Speedo (this applies to buff dudes as well as the rest of the man/ape world inhabitants!) :monkeydan

Fashions always come back. I played a lot of tennis in the 70's and at that time mens tennis shorts were short, like 10 inches above the knee, so were regular walking shorts, basketball shorts and swim shorts. The boys in the hood and the surfers started the long shorts fashion. Sooner or later some fashion designer will bring bach short shorts for men. Just like the womens hip hugger jeans came back. BTW I think I would rather see a man in a Speedo than some women in hip huggers.

Back
Top Bottom