spearfishing from surfboard/kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SC Short Stick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings all,

i'm super new :dork2: to spearfishing, and long story short, i wanted to know the requirements for a flag when going just offshore on a surfboard and/ or kayak. Im obviously low budget, but i want to remain as safe as possible if i can help it.

Thanks for your help,
Ben

A flag is required in most states.

If it's mounted to a boat, it has to be bigger (like 2' by 3' or so. check your local law).

so often kayakers take a "towed flag" that is only required to be something like 12"x15" and pop it in the water beside their kayak. that way you don't have to have as large of a flag.

I guess you can do it from a surfboard, but a lot easier to drop stuff overboard and not have any tie points to attach stuff to.

don't forget any required licenses.

thanks, i got the lic...its gonna be interesting to paddle out with all my gear. Gonna look like a ocean-bound yard sale. Im new and determined, though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom