speaking of old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
I dug this up my first post on the board and I thought I would ask it again

Originally posted by Fishkiller
Hello

I have decided to swim with the fishes instead of catching them.. I have the basics but would like to get a complete set of gear so I don't have to rent when I blow bubbles.. I am looking at the MARES line of BC's and regs but can't decide on what order to purchase the equiptment? the fist major item I did purchase was nice two peice wetsuit good for a large variety of dive condtions the BC is what I think I want next but what about a reg..DC..camera..knife..boat?? help

I ended up with a 3mm Henderson gold core
and Sea Snips,( the rest is listed in the thread what equipment are you using).

still waiting on the boat, island, and stamp.

So in What order do/would you purchase new equipment?

I would purchase my gear in the following order:

First:
Mask
Fins
Gloves/hood

Second:
Wetsuit

Last:
Reg and BC
Computer

This is the way I purchased my gear just because the mask, fins, gloves, hood and wetsuit are individual fit items. I wanted to dive with some different setups before I committed to the big ticket items. I didn't feel like I could fairly evaluate major gear until I had some dives under my belt.

Scott

Originally posted by Scottri
I would purchase my gear in the following order:

First:
Mask
Fins
Gloves/hood

Second:
Wetsuit

Last:
Reg and BC
Computer

This is the way I purchased my gear just because the mask, fins, gloves, hood and wetsuit are individual fit items. I wanted to dive with some different setups before I committed to the big ticket items. I didn't feel like I could fairly evaluate major gear until I had some dives under my belt.

Scott
DITTO...that's exactly what I did.

I have a cool blue mask and Tusa fins with boots. And a nice Dive Skin. I get all other gear when I do the Seal team at the dive store. My dad will buy me a gauge and a BC when I can dive alone with him in the lake and in the ocean.

For years I have advised students/new divers to purchase their "personal" gear first, (mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, THEN reg, BC and tank last). My reasoning? You NEED your own mask, fins and snorkel for a perfect fit and good hygiene.
Locally, a wetsuit is the HIGH DOLLAR item to rent and then you have to take potluck on the fit. (Why not be comfortable and let the diveshops take care of equipment upkeep for awhile?)
Later, get your own "personal" reg and BC, while still renting tanks. (They're one of the cheapest items to rent and they come full....something your own tank does not!)
Do the newbies listen? Seldom. Most want just what I wanted..........they want that reg and BC first thing! :)
Norm

For me it depends on:

-- need
-- cashflow
-- how long it takes to decide what I want

I had mask, snorkel and fins before I learnt to dive. The first new thing I bought was a watch -- the only piece of gear I couldn't rent.

Bought my BC when I got fed up with the sizing lottery on rental ones. The more I dive in it, the more I like it -- it fits really well, and everything is in the same place all the time. Bliss.

Held off getting a wetsuit for a while. I started out renting a 3mm shorty, but I wasn't sure it would be warm enough in the long term. Sure enough, when I stopped flapping my arms about, I started getting cold. Went for a 3/2mm fullsuit, but now I'm wondering whether 5/3mm would have been better. Tcha.

Didn't think I needed a computer, and then I had the opportunity to hire one for a few days. Really liked having all that extra info on my wrist. Fortunately all this happened a month before Christmas and now I have a Vyper :D

Regulators... now that's difficult. So many brands, so little real difference between the recreational models. Plus I don't have any real issues with hiring one... they all work, they all fit. I've pretty much made a decision now, but it was much more difficult than choosing a BC or computer.

Zept

Mask, snorkle,fins
Wet suit, hood, gloves & booties
Reg, BC
Knife & Dive light
Computer
Tanks

Basically the same this as jobowker

Mask, Fins+Booties

Suit, Regulator+Octo+gages and, depends where you dive, vest+hood and gloves

BC

All the rest, and the list of goodies is very,very..., very long.

But you'll probably get many different opinions.

Ari :confused:

Hi there. This is the order I have made purchases:

Mask, snorkle, fins boots, 5ml gloves, wieghts
7ml wetsuit, hood, skin, warm water gloves.
Reg
BC
Computer
3/2 ml wetsuit

Dont think I will ever get tanks....I'll let my dive shop take care of that...
PS...I don't wear the light gloves nor my knife alot on trips south...reef rules.

Norm: That is very good advice to newbies....they would be well advised to listen.

Regards....
Cindy
:wave:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom