Buy or rent BC for 14 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m debating whether to buy a BC for my 14 year old son, or whether to just rent. At 14 he is already 6’1” and 165#, so he is definitely not done growing. Because of this, if I buy I will get him a BP/W setup, most likely the HOG Total Buoyancy Control System so that it can grow with him.

We are heading to Bonaire for a week in late march, where I expect we will wind up logging 20-30 dives each. The dive op at our hotel there rents nice, newer Scubapro BCs for $90/week.

For his next dive trip my incredibly lucky son will be heading out on the Belize Aggressor for a week in June with a school group where he will likely log another ~30 dives. That program provides equipment as part of the cost, and the gear is nice and specifically used for his “Reefs” group.

I like the idea of my son using equipment that is perfectly sized for him and that he is completely familiar with. The price to buy is relatively high at ~$500, but since I won’t be renting for him in Bonaire it is really ~$410, then there’s the fact that I’d need to buy an inflator hose for $30 if he rents (one comes with the HOG) putting my net cost at $380. That works out to ~$7/dive on his two trips. On the other hand, renting allows him to use the same BC as everyone else on the June trip and for him to stop growing, then decide exactly what type of BC he wants.

What would you do in this case?

I’m debating whether to buy a BC for my 14 year old son, or whether to just rent. At 14 he is already 6’1” and 165#, so he is definitely not done growing. Because of this, if I buy I will get him a BP/W setup, most likely the HOG Total Buoyancy Control System so that it can grow with him.

We are heading to Bonaire for a week in late march, where I expect we will wind up logging 20-30 dives each. The dive op at our hotel there rents nice, newer Scubapro BCs for $90/week.

For his next dive trip my incredibly lucky son will be heading out on the Belize Aggressor for a week in June with a school group where he will likely log another ~30 dives. That program provides equipment as part of the cost, and the gear is nice and specifically used for his “Reefs” group.

I like the idea of my son using equipment that is perfectly sized for him and that he is completely familiar with. The price to buy is relatively high at ~$500, but since I won’t be renting for him in Bonaire it is really ~$410, then there’s the fact that I’d need to buy an inflator hose for $30 if he rents (one comes with the HOG) putting my net cost at $380. That works out to ~$7/dive on his two trips. On the other hand, renting allows him to use the same BC as everyone else on the June trip and for him to stop growing, then decide exactly what type of BC he wants.

What would you do in this case?
I think this is a reasonable decision. If you go with the hogartharian webbing, he'll have plenty of room to grow.

I use this config for all my students and I've had people that were 6'6" and people that were 5"6" in the same bp/w.

I have a few gently used student bp/ws if you want to give me a call or shoot me a PM. I would be happy to give anyone on scuba board a good deal.

I am glad I do not have anyone in the family to spend my saving.
DGX has a BP/W set up for US$399.00, inflator hose is extra. Give them a call for the suggestion of suitable length for a 6'1" growing young gentleman.

A backplate with a continuous webbing harness and crotch strap is seriously one-size-fits-most. I would have no hesitation buying one for a teenager. The very worst case scenario is that you trim the webbing to his current size, and then he grows another foot, or puts on another hundred pounds, and the webbing becomes too short. In that case, the fix is to purchase another chunk of webbing for $20 and replace it yourself. You really can't go wrong

While I agree with the BPW route as the easy long term solution, back inflate in general isn't everyone's cup of tea (my kids and I love BPW, my wife prefers jacket styles). I'd recommend at least pool testing a back inflate with him prior to spending money. If he likes it, then BPW is infinitely adjustable. I have a couple older Zeagle rigs, and they are good.... but the horseshoe style wing has it's own little quirks. Not necessarily bad, just different.

Respectfully,

James

Thanks all. Any thoughts on the Zeagle Express Tech as a solution?
An aluminum plate, single piece of webbing harness and a 32 lb donut wing will last him for decades and cost less. At his size I'd opt for the steel plate though.
And for sure the single piece harness. the TBC is ok, but not as flexible and adaptable as a single piece of webbing.
The express tech is nice but I would upgrade it to the 35lb wing and realize that is has limitations if he decides to get into doubles or any form of tech diving.

To pick up on Jim's point about lower lifetime cost of the BP/W, think about it this way.

You buy your son a tbcs - you get a stainless steel plate, Hogarthian webbing, and an 23-pound wing. In 5 years, the webbing wears out and he wants a new wing. So you spend 300ish of today's dollars on those things. Now he has 2 wings and new webbing. You've spent in the area of 750 dollars and you have two wings.

On the other hand, you buy the zeagle, and he outgrows it, so you buy him another zeagle, now you have one bcd and you've spent about a hundred dollars more, and you have less to show for it.

I'm also not a fan of the horseshoe wings. They are just less enjoyable to dive because you have to play with the bubble more. I used one for years, but now, I wouldn't go back. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom