Speaking of charters, ?? on Ryan Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cxg31s

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I booked air-only with Funjet for my 2 upcoming trips to Coz from DFW. My TA has advised me that Funjet has switched from Allegro to Ryan Air. She also said Ryan Air is usually the airline that Apple Vacations uses, so I know some of you have flown with this airline.

My problem is with the luggage restrictions. Info I found on the Transglobal site (couldn't find it anywhere else) states that you are allowed 2 suitcases, 62" and 55" respectively, the TOTAL weight of which is not to exceed 44 lbs. Needless to say, with all my dive gear I will be WAY over that weight limit! I saw on another thread (Cheap flight to Coz) that the airline was insisting this weight limit was a "safety regulation" but interestingly enough, it disappeared once the guy paid $25 each way as an "excess baggage" fee.

I've also heard Ryan Air is notorious for losing luggage and being late on departures and arrivals. Anyone flown Ryan Air lately and would like to share their experiences with this airline or can confirm these ridiculous luggage restrictions? Any tips from well-travelled divers on how to get around these weight restrictions with all this gear we HAVE to have? :D

Thanks!
Angie

Are you sure it's 44 lbs. f/ 2 bags & not 44 lbs f/ each bag? I'd double check, maybe someone made a mistake.

See if you can find out how full the flight is. If it's not booked to capacity, they should be able to waive the fee. Funjet should be able to do that for you at the ticket counter. The excess baggage fee is used to discourage oversized bags & boxes. (people moving) Not everyone brings oversized bags. Someone w/ just a carry-on is helping keep the weight down. So, if your willing to pay the fee you can have an oversized bag. If everyone checked 3 bags each weighing 100 lbs each, we'd have a problem.

Unable to help on the Ryan info. Have never flown on them. It is true that Apple Vacations used to use Ryan. Maybe they still do. That I don't know.

Lost luggage depends on the ground handler. They are not always the carriers employees. They could be Northwest Airlines, Delta etc... whoever got the bid. Ryan is such a tiny airline that I'm not sure they have their own ground handlers.

thru Apple Vacations to Jamaica. It was an Apple Vacation package. They were on time both ways and no lost luggage for our family of 4. That was a couple of years ago. The only notable thing was they really squeezed you into the plane. Leg room was terrible.

Juls

The baggage restrictions posted earlier are correct. We flew a Funjet flight (TransMeridian) out of Austin in July. Funjet lists 44 lbs. pp for all baggage.

We packed about 48 lbs. each, but no one checked the weight.

Alan's post agrees with what I found--the info I got from the website confirms that it's 44 lbs TOTAL for the 2 checked bags--the wording left little to speculation.

Boy am I in trouble then! I flew Funjet in June and Aug and the weight limit was 70 lbs total--I came in at 68 both times with dive gear, camera gear and whatever clothes I could cram into the crevices. Some people were a few lbs over but they really don't say much if you're just a LITTLE over. But I'd say I need to buy lighter gear, rent gear down there or just pay the darned fee! Grrrrrr.....guess I'll just have to move to Coz so I don't have to worry about weight restrictions ever again! hee hee

Thanks for the info folks! :)

Moving to Coz would solve all of my problems too. Maybe we'll be neighbors. LOL

I found info on Trans Meridian (on their web site) baggage allowance. 2 bags p/p (1st bag 62 in. 2nd bag 55 in.) 50 lbs f/ each bag, plus 1 carry on (45in.) That's not too bad. I'm no help w/ any Ryan info. I couldn't find out anything on their web site, at all.
That 44 lbs f/ 2 bags is BS. (Their policy, not the info confirmed by many)

Funjet may have an 800 number. Check your paperwork. Give them a call & see if they can help you, through corporate. It might help to have a name to throw around, from higher up.

Keep trying & let us know how it goes.

And maybe we WILL be neighbors! I may be moving down there sooner than later, depending on how things go the next few months....

I talked to my TA and she said the info she has gotten confirms the weight limit of 44 lbs for TWO checked bags, which you're right is ridiculous. A 62" suitcase ALONE weighs over 10 lbs and that's when it's empty! I got a reply from an Adventure Tours employee this morning that said they are in the process of working with Ryan Air to relieve the weight restrictions so hopefully by my trip in Nov, this won't be an issue! :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Unfortunatly, my move to Coz is a little farther away. A few years instead of a few months. But that is the carrot on the stick for me.:D

At DFW Funjet will be flying 'Planet Air', and not Allegro for the month of October. The baggage limit is 44 lbs for Total of both bags that you check, and they allow one carry on.
Have fun and dive safe.

is posted on the Funjet website & would appear to apply to all their charters. I've never had any trouble with it in the past. My norm is 50 lb of dive bag and 20 lb of other stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom