SP G260 or S600 for tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mortem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

It is almost impossible for me to find comparison of those 2 regs. For tech dive, which one do you prefer and why?

Either will serve you well. They are both high performance and likely breathe, perceptively, the same when equally tuned you'll not go wrong with either. Buy the one you like the look of or toss a coin. FWIW I dive some G260s and am very satisfied with performance. I've never dived the S600 but it's top of the line. This coming from a die hard Apeks fan boy.

I have the S600. I use one for my main and one for my second. Nice breathers.

You could go for the s560 the only real difference between this and the current s600 is the metal barrel, the older s600 had the plastic barrel... its a little lower cost.

---------- Post added September 7th, 2015 at 07:42 PM ----------

What first stage are you using?

You might find the s560 is the lightest and the g260 the heaviest, if that matters to you.

If diving very cold water the metal barrel may be better for heat/cold dispersion.

I already tried the S600 (with MK17) and found it breathing very smoothly and I know it is a good reg.
But for the G260, I have no info. I really don't know how it can compare to the S600 in term of breathing, maintenance, reliability, etc... I only found it to be about the same price tag.
If anyone can tell me what are the pro/con that would be great :)

Thank

Servicing, reliability and maintenance are no different. Both are tried and proven designs, more similar than not. If the average person can pick one over the other in a blind test assuming equally tuned I'll eat my regs. Your choice of first stage is probably more important.

---------- Post added September 7th, 2015 at 07:32 AM ----------

Admittedly I've never taken an S600 apart but the G260 was surprisingly simple.

I have the G250v (predecessor to the G260), and a S600 (S555 converted to a metal air barrel S600). If the G260 is remotely close to the G250v (and I believe it was just marketing to get something new so folks would buy, and the improvements are only seen by machines), you cant go wrong with either. Tuned right, they are both excellent (but so it a 109/156.....

Keep in mind, as said above, its more important to select the proper first stage.....

And to repeat,, tuned correctly...

Both regulators are basically the same internally as Buddha mentioned. The only significant difference other than cosmetics is the size. The S-600 is a compact regulator were the G260 is standard sized. It could be argued that the larger diaphragm in the G260 should give it a slight advantage in breathing sensitivity, but in reality I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

G250 but "reincarnate" in H brand.
I would go for the old G250 with metal barrel but Apeks is my preferrance.

G250 but "reincarnate" in H brand.
I would go for the old G250 with metal barrel but Apeks is my preferrance.

The Halcyon "G250" is the same as the discontinued Scubapro G250V. It's a great regulator but might even be slightly larger than the G260. Another nice feature of the G260 is that it is reversible so you can have a hose on the left side of the regulator if desired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom