SP G260 or S600 for tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone with both g250v and g260 post a side by side picture? I am using g250v now. I have had s600 with plastic barrel, being a relatively cold water diver, I was a fan of the plastics. If my memory serves, I feel g250v has better built quality. It feels more solid. Breathing wise, I am sure they are equal when tune properly

The Halcyon "G250" is the same as the discontinued Scubapro G250V. It's a great regulator but might even be slightly larger than the G260. Another nice feature of the G260 is that it is reversible so you can have a hose on the left side of the regulator if desired.
"Nice feature of the G260......." unfortunately it is absolutely useless for DIR divers or for some of us.
I won't buy Apeks XTX regs for the same reason. Why should I pay for something that is no use for me? But at least Apeks still has the decency producing other models unlike SP who "sold" the "design" to "H".

Can someone with both g250v and g260 post a side by side picture? I am using g250v now. I have had s600 with plastic barrel, being a relatively cold water diver, I was a fan of the plastics. If my memory serves, I feel g250v has better built quality. It feels more solid. Breathing wise, I am sure they are equal when tune properly

I only own the G260 but some of the local boys dive G250v, I'm diving this weekend so if the locals are about I'll take a side by side photo for you.

I dive the g260, g250v, s600, x650. (new models S600 with the full chrome face plate have all metal) There is not a lick of difference between them. The housings are almost identical and so are the internals... The housing and diaphragm on the s600 and x650 are smaller. The Blue "X" on the x650 is a recall job - white "X" OK. The venturi assist, dive and resistance controls are the same. I purposefully bought the g260 because I swapped the hose to the left side for side mount and pitched the left side long hose. That set up ponies well too. All the seconds run off a MK25's You will be happy with any of them. The g250v and x650 are at a good price break and deals are to be had.

I prefer the S600. The G260 has a stiffer exhaust valve (unless they've changed it recently), making exhalation use more effort. On the same dive (high flow cave) I noticed a build up of CO2 that was not there on the S600, because of the exhalation effort required.

Happy with my S600.

They are both excellent and I doubt you will really notice a difference with respect to inhalation effort. As has been mentioned already, it's best to pair either with a high performance first stage. I'm diving the MK25 and S600 and they have been very reliable and a nice breath at depth. Choose the size, material, and form factor that is most appealing to you... you won't be disappointed with either choice.

Both regulators are basically the same internally as Buddha mentioned. The only significant difference other than cosmetics is the size. The S-600 is a compact regulator were the G260 is standard sized. It could be argued that the larger diaphragm in the G260 should give it a slight advantage in breathing sensitivity, but in reality I doubt anyone could tell the difference.
Agreed! However, I can tell the difference. I have tested the G260 & the S600 on ocean dives at various depths down to 120'. Both performed excellent. I believe the G260 is a little smoother delivering more air with slightly less effort. However, it is bulkier.

The G260's larger size & more air delivery may fit a larger person better.

The S600 may be better suited for a smaller person.

Attached are the WOB ( Work of Breathing ) for the S600 & G260 respectively.

Attachments

• WOB - S600.jpg
    WOB - S600.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 137
  • G260 WOB.jpg
    G260 WOB.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 131
Thanks a lot for your answers. I was wondering for differences, so to summaries (let me know if I am wrong):
- Ease of Breath: same bt maybe slightly better for S600 on the exalation part
- Smallest: S600
- Lightest: 600
- Disassembly: G260
- Cold Diving: G260
- Reverse hose: G260

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom