South Florida Irma panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes panic is the appropriate response...

How long will the reefs be jacked up? We plan on coming dow the week of the 24th and was looking to get some diving in? Do you think the reefs will clear up by then?

Had a beautiful, blue water dive on the Castor Tuesday, and landed to full-on SFL hurricane prep craziness. Fortunate to get gas, only the most expensive grade was left. But with the tolls suspended, it was a cheap trip back to Gainesville! Most gas here was out by evening, but we'll probably have more fuel in before the storm. They are still planning on the football game Saturday noon, unfortunately taking up some hotel rooms Friday night, that evacuees might need...

Mostly we get wind, downed trees, and have been out of power for almost two weeks after a hurricane. We'll have the dog and cat carriers out and ready for our guys for any worse case situation.

Stay safe!

Last edited:
How long will the reefs be jacked up? We plan on coming dow the week of the 24th and was looking to get some diving in? Do you think the reefs will clear up by then?

This is on the west coast, which generally has worse vis than the east, but I dove Venice beach 2 days after Charley and had some of the best vis ever. And found $20 floating around.

Thoughts & prayers to all Floridian. I know how bad it could be. I just got over Harvey here in Houston.

My buddy's flight out of Fort Lauderdale with American Airlines was cancelled. So he is stuck in Jupiter.

We were originally planning to dive in Mitzpah corridor to see Goliath Grouper spawning today. Obviously the trip was cancelled by the dive operator 2 days ago. United Airlines also fully refunded my flight Houston-Fort Lauderdale roundtrip tickets. I was supposed to fly out of Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. A lucky person got my ticket to fly out of dodge.

The visibility would be bad for at least a couple of weeks. Sands will be everywhere, covering the corals.

The visibility would be bad for at least a couple of weeks. Sands will be everywhere, covering the corals.
We don't even know if it will hit or how close it will be. We'll know more by Monday.

Jet Blue announced $99. fares out of all their served Florida cities.

Somebody gets it. Kudos!

IIRC, last year during the wildfires in Ft McMurray Alberta, WestJet took as many acft out of their regular schedule as they could (mostly 737-700s and 737-800s) and sent them to Ft Mac to aid in the evacuation. The jets were full of supplies on the way into Ft Mac, and full of people (and pets) on the way out. They did not charge for the flight out or the flight back after the all clear was given to return.

Yup, some just get it.

Last edited:
On a related note, the effects of Irma could make my trip on the Aquacat next month interesting. I wonder what impact it will have on the diving through the Exumas.

Why does seemingly everyone need bottled water? Do people who live in these areas not have the good sense to own large containers they can fill from the tap?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom