South Florida Irma panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say that Florida has "great" water overall, where it hasn't been processed.

"Do people who live in these areas not have the good sense to own large containers they can fill from the tap?" What, they should drink from dirty used containers instead of nice sanitary new ones? (sigh)

These are the same people who say "I have water and flashlights, I' not worried" and totally ignore the fact that this will probably land as a Cat5 or Cat4. The strongest Florida building codes only call for Cat2-3, and even the shelters and hospitals will be damaged by Cat4-5. Possibly worse than Hurricane Andrew was--and NO ONE who got caught by that, is casually sticking around.

Cat4, Cat5? That's a bulldozer 400 miles wide, playing in your backyard for twelve hours or longer. Yes, evacuation up to the mainland is too expensive for many folks. So instead, they'll get soaked, and THEN they'll still have to evacuate. What did it take, 15 years for places to recover from Andrew?

On the bright side, this could soon be a buyer's market for Florida real estate. "Handyman's special".

Tap water is fine just about anywhere in Florida I've drunk from garden hoses in Miami when I was little while out fishing from random people's back yards got yelled at quite a bit.

As far as dealing with cat 4 or cat 5 winds my area only 10 miles from the beach and about mid broward is only suppose to get 80 mph winds tops that's not a cat 4 or 5. I believe most places will do fine inland. It's the coastal areas we have to worry about and south Miami will flood for sure

New update as of 11pm: looks like it shifted more west and my area is going up to 100 mph.

Last edited:
She's down to a Four, but her path takes her right over me as a 1. I'm feeling a bit doomish at the moment. This might make the damage caused by Harvey look minimal. There's an eerie silence outside... barely a twig or leaf is moving.

She's down to a Four, but her path takes her right over me as a 1. I'm feeling a bit doomish at the moment. This might make the damage caused by Harvey look minimal. There's an eerie silence outside... barely a twig or leaf is moving.

We are thinking of you, boss! Hang in there...

I think we're as ready as we're going to get! We haven't had hurricane force winds in Gainesville in the 25+ yrs I've been here, but have been through a couple in other parts of FL. An unexpected evacuee already showed up - going out to finish storm prep this morning and found a dog apparently decided to shelter himself in our garage. No owner looking for him yet, and he seems like he's been on his own for awhile, so I guess he's riding out Irma with us. Hopefully we'll figure out what to do with him next week... Very sweet boy!

IMG_20170908_090154-2.jpg

ziDrAutZ5XtYOd9g1

good luck to you all. you have a biger one than hit us in Beaumont last week or so.

Hopefully we'll figure out what to do with him next week... Very sweet boy!
He knows a sucker when he sees one! I'm watching my predicted winds Sunday night climb from 45ish yesterday to about 70 as of this morning. Jeez Louise! Can we get her a bit more over the gulf??? I can think of a number of better places for her to go, but will refrain from mentioning those at this point. :D :D :D

He knows a sucker when he sees one!

We're pretty much a regular stop on the Underground Railroad :rolleyes:

I'm not minding the break in heat that the storm pushed ahead of it. It's like Fall or something...

Pete, maybe you're a Jonah, and should just get yourself out into the middle of the Atlantic, drawing Irma away from Florida entirely.

Pete, maybe you're a Jonah, and should just get yourself out into the middle of the Atlantic, drawing Irma away from Florida entirely.
Thanks for those positive vibes! :D :D :D I'm thinking I might have to find a shelter at this point. I need a place where my kitties are welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom