Soon to be new dive site!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When is the anticipated date for opening up? Still the same?

I just talked to some of our local divers this weekend, and it sounds like we've got strong interest and tentative commitments from at least four of us for the six-hour drive from Baton Rouge.

Have the initial operational parameters been finalized yet?
  • Hours of operation:
  • Price of admission:
  • Cost of air fills:
  • Availability of night diving:
  • Rules and regulations:
I assume this will all be on the brochure and web site, but right now... well... we have met the PR department, and you're it! :D

The rules and regulations part is of particular interest to me, as I've encountered some unexpected or unannounced ones in my dive travels. I'm sure they seemed completely standard to the people enforcing them, but I was taken by surprise. I may still be working through our NAUI DM course, but I'm trying to learn and practice as much as I can presently apply, and there was quite an emphasis on preventing surprises on the trips you help organize. :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm sure everyone's looking forward to hearing conditions updates as you have them, so *I* won't bug you about that (for now :biggrin:). If it remains below 60°F, I wouldn't be surprised if the BTR contingent suffers some attrition. Most of the people around here think Vortex Spring is *cold* (at 68°F). :D

Current water temp is 57.
I have in the water Saturday installing a training platform and inspecting areation system. Much of the vis. was between 6-8'. I think the deepest I got was 45' in Sand Lake which was a little dark but in shallower depths I could see better.

Hours of operation:
These are present hours. Weekend hours will change when Summer gets here
Saturday: 1000-600
Sunday: 100-600
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 1000-700
Closed Wednesday

Price of admission:
$20 per person per day
Instructors/DM w/ classes free
Cost of air fills:
$6 100 cf or less
$7 101cf and larger (I think)

Availability of night diving:
Sure there will be Saturday Night dives during summer
Night Dives other night possable by request
(Currently there is not on site camping but the public beach is near by and there many motels in the area)

Rules and regulations: Premature list
1) Everyone must sign-in
2) Firearms are not allowed
3) No glass containers
4) Parking in designated areas only
5) No Animals please
6) Please observe diver etiquette.
Site between school and church. Use appropriate behavior.
(Rules subject to change.)

I am sure there will be many changes in first few months as things get worked out and crowds grow.

5) No Animals please.

That pretty much rules all the TSD group out, with the exception of a few of the more civilized among us...like Hemlon and RumBum!! :D

With all the trips I made up and down the dock this last few weeks I would like a sherpa also.

I may have stepped over the line with this post but I understand that everything has a cost and I don't think anyone ever said that SCUBA was cheap.

I have no say on the price and I am sure everyone would like not have to pay to dive but many times dives have to pay. But there are many things that have to be pay for when operating a scuba park (electric cost for aeration system, insurance, staff, maintence). Plus how many other places have over 60 wrecks, including 4 fire trucks, F-5, King Kong, many boats (including several over 30' and a 60' sail boat), and C-130 in the future.

But I think there is a cost for other locations and not much of a difference in price to other locations. Maybe the owner will working on frequent diver program.

Athens Scuba Park $15, Air fills $5
Twin Lakes $15, Air fills $8
Blue Lagoon $15, Air fills $8
Aquarena Springs $30 (unless you are a Scientific Diver) No air fills

Comparing to the other sites I've hit:
  • $30 and over (seen plenty of those) seems like price gouging.
  • $25 seems steep.
  • $20 is normal.
  • $10-15 is inexpensive.
  • Free is cheap, but usually inconvenient.
From my perspective, $20 and nicely priced fills will certainly not adversely impact my chances of diving Mammoth Lake. It's got shallower depths and poorer viz compared to Blue Water in Pelham, AL, but on the other hand, it's got shallower depths and much larger area compared to Blue Water. (Both sites are fresh water about six hours from me.)

Back
Top Bottom